The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Meuse-Argonne Military Cemetery

Paul Hederer

A few weeks ago I had a chance to visit the beautiful American Meuse-Argonne cemetery. The cemetery contains the grave of 14,246 Americans killed in the Great War.

Photos on the website below:

Meuse-Argonne Military Cemetery

Paul

P.S. Thanks Pete ;)

Great photographs Paul

:rolleyes:

One of the most beautiful cemeteries I have visited with its outstanding lilly pond.

Must be one of the few military cemeteries that is transversed by a D road.

Thanks for posting such great pics. My grandfather survived Meuse Argonne and since I will probably never get to go there myself, it is always nice to see photos. It is a wonderful tribute to all the men who died there.

Cherie

You are all most welcome. It was a moving experience and emotional visiting the cemetery.

Paul

The AEF lost 50,280 men killed in action and 200,600 wounded. With its 14,246 interments, the Meuse-Argonne Cemetery has nearly one-third of the number of AEF men who were killed in the war. The math assumes that those who died from wounds were later included in the KIA category and that there are not a significant number of World War II graves in the cemetery. In the "Last day of the war" thread most people were surprised to learn that the majority of allied casualties on the last day of the war were American and that the Meuse-Argonne offensive continued until the very last moment.