The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Trip to Chateau Thierry (Dec. 1918)

ackimzey

Joseph Parvin Carter (M.D.), my great uncle, was a lieutenant in the U.S. Army Medical Corps. He was stationed at the American Hospital in Juilly. I inherited 2 notebooks of his, one of which details a train trip to Chateau Thierry. I've transcribed the notebook with help from several of the forum members. I'm including it in a Word document in case any one would care to see it. It's very short but I had to smile at his detailing of all the expenses. My great uncle past away in 1966 or '67 so I did have several opportunities to visit with him, and to the end, he continued to "detail" all his expenses. :) He was the older brother of Grover Carter (see my signature).

Ann

Parvin__s_Train_Trip_to_Chateau_Thierry.doc

Interesting! Thanks, Ann.

Thank you Ann

Part of our last trip was to the American sector, I will be posting some photographs shortly

Andy

Here is a picture taken on Parvin's trip. The back of the picture contains the following:

PHOTOGRAPH OF DUGOUT—TEXT FROM VERSO

This is a picture taken between Chateau Thierry and Fismes These dugouts are in the side of a big hill just as far as can be seen on each side and they were occupied at times by the Boche and then the allies, [i?] was all thru several of the larger ones and they were well kept on the inside and some were quite large. The bags in front are all filled with sand and laid smoothly, only a short distance from here was where Lieut. Quintin Roosevelt was brought down by the Boche on July 14th. Some very hard fighting took place all thru here.

The clarity of the photo is poor, but it's the best I could manage given its condition. If you can see the small "x", I'm pretty sure this marks my great uncle.

Ann

post-6791-1226181231.jpg