The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Army Service Corps 17th Army Aux. H.T. Coy.

Guest ljfsandell

Guest ljfsandell

Hello Researchers

I hope you can help - my great grandfather died 17/feb/1919. His was Joseph Newton L/C T4/092050 he is buried in Cologne Southern Cemetery. He was one of those that was reinterned in this cemetery. He died of influenza. I have been told he stayed behind after the end of the War to stay and look after the horses as he was a farmer back in the UK. Can any one tell me what would have been his role or would I need to obtain his service record for this info?

Thanks in advance

Hello J Newton and welcoem to the forum

Your grandfather was a Horse transport tradesman (The T confirms it) and the lack of a number after the "T" and bef0re the "/" indicates he joined up after 20 Nov 1916.

The BAOR occupation armes would have required Horse Transport Companies as a means of re-supply. What is lsightly odd is that 17th Aux HR Coy is recorded as servign in Salinoka and the Black Sea - not Germany.

Still its this sort of oddity which often reveals an interesting story. The trial has started . On..... On.....

Stephen

.... the lack of a number after the "T" and before the "/" indicates he joined up after 20 Nov 1916.

Stephen, not sure if I follow you. His number is given as T4/092050, which suggests an enlistment of around April-June 1915.

Cheers,

Stuart

His medal card shows that he was a Driver, and that his entitlement was the BWM and VM. He therefore entered a theatre of war after 31st December 1915.

My understanding is that the prefix "T4" denotes Horse Transport, 4th New Army.

Noel

Stuart

oops - you're right - I missed the 4 (wrong glasses)

Sorry for the confusion

Stephen

My grandfather was Driver Harold Arthur Ridge T4/109775, I believe he enlisted June 1915 got this date from looking for records of men with close numbers.

But he didn't enter theatre of war until much later. I know from his marriage certificate he was with 208 Company and they mobilised for Salonica July 1916.

I am fortunate to have some letters of his and in 1919 he was in France & Flanders excerpt of letters:

Dated 10/2/1919 ; Harold's address is 98 Coy, 55 Divisional Train BEF.Says he doesn’t know when he will be home and it is difficult to be demobilized with horses as you have to get rid of the horses but he expects to be home within a month.

Letter from his mother Fanny to brother Horace who is in France dated 8th April 1919 giving Horace Harold’s address :-

Driver H Ridge 109775 attached Liverpool Scottish Transport Section, c/o APO S/110 BEF France.

He was still not demobbed by May 1919 - assume he was demobbed by June 1919as my mum was born 9 months later!

Jane

Jane,

Mike Young's book states that 208 company was formed on 14th December 1914, and disbanded on 9th April 1919. Theatre of operations given as "Home, Salonika, Army Troops" and then Role as 22nd Reserve Park (Horse Transport) followed by 12th Auxiliary (Horse Transport) Company.

Noel