Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another mystery

Northern Soul

Here's one where I don't know the answer!

Pte. Robert Henry Richards of the Canadians is reported as dying of wounds in France on 3/11/18. His next of kin lived at Los Angeles and it took until late February 1919 for the news to filter back to the UK and appear in the local newspaper.

Mention is also made of his brother who also joined the Canadian forces (but not at the same time) and survived the war.

He was 23 years old and I have verified his name(s) and birth in the GRO Index.

The problem I have is that, apart from not being able to identify anyone in the CWGC database, I cannot find a Canadian Attestation Form for this man, although I have found his brother's. So, is he a non-com or not?

It might be that he actually joined the American Army and died serving with them; I can't identify anyone on the USBMC website but a large number of dead servicemen were repatriated and so are not listed. I need to exclude this as a possibility before I continue with the Canadian angle so please does anyone have access to the International version of Ancestry who can look up US service cards and see if he is there?

Andy.

Andy

Robert Henry Richards joined the American army. He registered for the Draft in Los Angeles on 5 June 1917 his address being 4415 Cimarron, Los Angeles, the same address given by his brother on his Canadian Attestaion Papers. He was born in Dalton on Furness on 8th September 1893. In June 1918 at Camp Lewis, Washington he completed a petition for naturalization to become a US citizen.

In the list of casualties, American Soldiers 1914 -1918, he is a private and from California.

I haven't been able, as yet, to find out which regiment he served with or where he his buried/commemorated.

Aled

Andy

Robert Henry Richards joined the American army. He registered for the Draft in Los Angeles on 5 June 1917 his address being 4415 Cimarron, Los Angeles, the same address given by his brother on his Canadian Attestaion Papers. He was born in Dalton on Furness on 8th September 1893. In June 1918 at Camp Lewis, Washington he completed a petition for naturalization to become a US citizen.

In the list of casualties, American Soldiers 1914 -1918, he is a private and from California.

I haven't been able, as yet, to find out which regiment he served with or where he his buried/commemorated.

Aled

Absolutely brilliant Aled. Thank you very much indeed because this one was giving me some problems. Anything else you can turn up will be much appreciated.

Best wishes.

Andy.

Andy

Managed to find out that he was a Private First Class and served in 'F' Company, 361 Infantry, 91st (Wild West) Division. I don't think I'll be able to find out much more about his military career although I have the details of when and how he arrived in the US if you are interested.

Aled

...................although I have the details of when and how he arrived in the US if you are interested.

Aled

Yes please. Any ideas how I find out where he is buried?

Andy.

Andy

Robert H Richards travelled to the USA with his mother Elizabeth, his sisters Ethel and Elizabeth and his brother Thomas. They sailed on the SS Oceanic from Liverpool on the 24th May 1905 and arrived at New York on the 1st June. They were going to Frontenac, Crawford County, Kansas. The father, Thomas, had gone ahead of them on the 5th April on the SS Majestic.

I don't know how long they stayed in Kansas but in the 1910 Federal Census the family were living in Joplin, Jasper County, Missouri where the father was a miner.

Seeing as Robert's address in 1917 was in Los Angeles I tried to find his burial there but did not find it. However I discovered that by 1920 the parents were living in San Francisco and tried there and eventually found the following:

SAN FRANCISCO NATIONAL CEMETERY

RICHARDS, ROBERT H PVT F 361 INF 91ST D US ARMY WORLD WAR I DATE OF DEATH: 11/03/1918 BURIED AT: SECTION ES SITE 1205-A

May he Rest in Peace.

Aled