Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hawthorn Crater

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

I seem to remember reading in some older battlefield guides that it was possible to descend into the Hawthorn Crater.

Is this still possible, and, if so, what do Pals recommend as the best side to approach from?

Simon Bull

Our group did in 1999, from the side closest to the path. Be warned it is steep, slippery and difficult to enter. Watch out for the large shells lying at the bottom. We made good use of the numerous small trees to anchor ourselves going up and down.

Ralph

I went down it on July 1 last year from the west side, and confirm that the sides are steep and slippery, particularly if it has been raining, but there are lots of trees and saplings to hold onto. The bottom is becoming quite vegetated.

A word of warning - don't try driving any further down the approach track than the end of the hardened bit where there is a left branch. The mud is as slippery as ice! I tried to do it in a Land Rover about 5 years ago, with ordinary road tyres, but even engaging 4 wheel drive and diff lock had difficulty getting back out. Could have been embarrasing if I had had to seek help from the farmer!

Tim

Yes it’s very steep and the little bits of chalk and stone that line the sides make any decent an adventure. I've been down three times and each decent was in a different area. Each time I went someone in our two or three person parties ended up taking the “buttocks express” part way to the bottom. I was the unhappy victim on one occasion!

my first memory of the battlefield is at age 8 slipping my way to the bottom of lochnager crater standing there and having my photo takern .

then taking about half and hour to get back out but did manage to get my first battlefield find a full clip of .303.

awwww memories

Simon,

It's fairly straightforward as long as you tread carefully and the weather has not made it too slippy. You can walk through from Newfoundland Park but if all you want is the crater just park up at the entrance to the sunken road by the scots memorial (the name is on the tip of my tongue...) and walk up the side of the field. Walking around the crater rim don't take the first "way in" that offers itself - some of the others are easier.

When I was there about a year ago it was quite easy to clamber in. At the bottom there were signs of someone camping out (remains of fire, rough bivouac etc.).

Good luck.

See you on Thursday.

When I was there about a year ago it was quite easy to clamber in.

I love the word clamber, it conjures up visions of an uncontrolled plummet. :huh:

On my 1st trip there was no sign warning agaainst descending Lochnagar so I did, talk about a clamber! Got going too fast, went to buttock brake, popped back up, too much speed again, more buttock braking, tore ass & hands up on rock & brambles, damn fool son at top did not even get a picture! :angry:

.........trying not to spoil anyones sense of adventure an awful lot of effort is required to climb down into the crater and once there, particularly in summer ,there is really little to see.

In the autumn the area is popular with the Chasse or local shoot and as I understand it the crater is owned by a shooting/hunting collective. Ironically this may greatly assist in preserving this unique and evocative Great War relic. Similarly the trees must also help to prevent farmers infill and gradual, natural errosion of the sides.

Enjoy the visit.

regards

Jason

:) Terry That is a great picture of thr Crater, great atmosphere. I am there this weekend.

Tony

The day before I was at the crater in 2001 a visitor went down and found the pelvis bone of a soldier lying near the surface. I am not sure what they were intending to do with it.

Andy

The pelvis bone of a soldier? Sheesh. I'm really not sure what my first reaction would be in that circumstance. Awe and respect probably. Should one phone the police? The CWGC? Leave it quietly alone?

S

Ste-

A few years ago I have had a similar experience there- I came across the lower portion of teeth and jaw bone on the lip of the Hawthrone Ridge crater. I was pretty young and had no idea what to do. I still don't actually. Kick dirt over it? There was stick in the ground deliberately placed next to it ( put there by other walkers?) like a makeshift gravemarker.

Anyway, it was a sobering encounter. Made me wonder at the power of that mine.

Mark

You are required to report the finding of any human remains to the police. They will deal with it, and on an old battlefield, and provided there is no likelyhood of their being anything other than those of a war victim, this is likely to be purely a formality. The War Graves authority of the Nation to which the remains are most likely to belong will be contacted by the police. Attempts will then be made to identify the remains, and they will be interred with dignity.

Those finding human bones should try to avoid disturbing the area around them as there may be clues as to their nationalility and identity in the ground nearby. Eg ID disc, cap badge, buttons, razor, boot heel plate, remains of rifle, bayonet, helmet etc.

Tim

May I add that the Hawthorn Crater is in fact private property? It is owned by 6-8 French families, all of whom have shooting rights in and around it. Such hunting often takes place there, and visitors should be aware of this. While there is an access path from the New Beaumont Road to the edge of the crater, technically you are trespassing when you enter it.

And, as many above have said, there is little to see inside and plenty of chances for a fall.

Hi Paul-

It's been such a long while since I've been there I can't remember if I'm mixing up my western front sites- but didn't there used to be a sign pointing up to it from the road? It was quite a climb up the path to it from the road as I remember- didn't realise I was trespassing.

As I say, I might be confusing it with another site.

Mark

No, it's the same site, but again - technically - this only grants you access to the edge of the crater. I have no idea who owns this path, but it was put in place by Souvenir Francais. The owners would only, I suspect, rarely enforce the strict letter of the law, but visitors should remember that it is not a public place.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul, Thanks for the insite, and Tim I am glad to know there is an effort to identify and respect the remains found anywhere along the Western Front.

When I visited the site I saw a sign pointing in the direction of the Crater, and perhaps being a little brazen I drove down the car path to get a bit closer. There were farmers in the field who saw me, and perhaps being used to vistors just smiled and waved.

I didn't realize I was trespassing either, perhaps if I did I would have left the car behind. However having done so and seen the friendly farmers will let me rest with a clean conscience tonight. Andy

Have just returned from a Somme visit. 2 days ago, we were walking around and in the crater, my partner was speaking to a farm hand who was ploughing around the lip! He then showed us a a length of train line that was sticking out of the ground, it had been wrenched out of the ground by his plough, complete with several mills bombs, and the remains of a hobnailed tommy boot! The small piece of no mans land in front of the "Sunken Lane", next door,sit on the cemetry wall and look at the small poppy crosses stuck everywhere, very sobering!