Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Rifles, Pte William Bernard Woodall, 52125

ericaw01

My great-uncle, Pte. William Bernard Woodall, was killed in action on 27 September 1918 (shortly after his 20th birthday), while serving with the 15th Warwicks in France. I got this information from the CWGC. His Service Record doesn't seem to be available (presumbly destroyed by fire). However, I just discovered today from looking at his Medal Roll (free on Ancestry for the month of November!) that he had previously been with the Royal Irish Rifles. I assume that he was transferred to 15th Warwicks on account of the losses.

Can anyone tell me from his Royal Irish Rifles Regimental Number (52125) where and when he might have enlisted? And can anyone tell from his 15th Warwicks number (35760) when he might have been transferred?

Soldiers Died Great War also has him as previously 313935 Warwick Yeomanry born and enlisted Stourbridge. No mention of the RIR. Ralph.

As regards his service record Ancestry do not have them all on site as yet, it MAY still exist at the the records office in Kew.

Thanks, rjaydee. What's interesting is that the Medal Roll has his surname spelled wrong (Woodhall), but has the correct number for him with the Royal Warwicks, which is why I was sure this was his record despite the mis-spelling. If the "Soldiers Died in the Great War" database shows him in the Warwickshire Yeomanry but not the Irish Rifles, is it reasonable to assume that he was in all three?

Morning

I would think so. The MIC will only show the Regiments that a soldier served with in a theatre of war. It is very likely he joined the Yeomanry but was transferred to the RIR due to losses - there was major reorganisation of the RIR in mid-late 1917.

David

• 15 years later...

Do you know if your relative, Pte WILLIAM BERNARD WOODALL had any family connections with the Woodall family of LUMB IN ROSSENDALE in Lancashire? Another WILLIAM WOODALL was killed in action in 1918 but he 35 years old & a Lance Corporal. Ian

• Admin

@ericaw01 hasn’t visited the forum since 2008. My tag might alert them to your post. 

Hi, Ian.  Yes, Michelle's tag did alert me to your post!

I can tell you that my great-uncle William Bernard Woodall was NOT connected with the family of Lumb in Rossendale, Lancs.  All of the known Woodalls in my family tree hail from around the Dudley area in Staffordshire, going back several generations.  His father (my great-grandfather Woodall) moved to Stourbridge Worcestershire having married a Worcestershire farmer's daughter.  I know it's a bit disappointing not to make a connection.  Good luck with your search!

Thanks very much for getting in touch & passing on that useful info....the WOODALL'S  certainly sacrificed  greatly in WW1...mostly young men of about 20..but the WILLIAM WOODALL I am interested in, was 35 years old when he was killed in 1918.  Regards IAN