Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Robert Kerr

hughkerr

Hi All,

Can anyone help me gather any information on my Grandfather Private Robert Kerr #26301 of the 13th Battallion Royal Scots. He and 3 friends, Bill McLean, John Lundie and Rab Dunlop, joined up in 1915 and served in France. Two of them were KIA John Lundie at Arras on 12/04/1917, and Rab Dunlop at Langueval on 14/07/1916. As far as I know Bill McLean was injured at Martinpuich and was shipped home. My Grandfather was also injured by I am unable to find out where or when and the extent of his injuries.

Grateful for any help.

Thanks

Hugh

Hugh

Have you sought his service record ?That would be answering questions for you,though not many survived 1940.

His unit was in 45 Brigade of 15 Division,see this from the Long Long Trail at top of page:

http://www.1914-1918.net/15div.htm

You might also get a look at the unit War Diary at Kew in the series WO95 and there might be members here who can suggest if a book is available on this Bn.

Sotonmate

Hi Hugh,

From The Scotsman online archive:

Thursday, 2nd November 1916, page 9: M'Lean, 26299, W. (Slamannan)

Monday, 6th November 1916, page 9: WOUNDED IN GLASGOW. Among 135 wounded soldiers who have arrived in Glasgow and been accommodated at Stobhill Military Hospital the following are the names of those attached to Scottish regiments:— includes White, 26302, L.Cpl. T.

Sorry to say but no sign of your grandfather searching either with his number alone or his surname in combination with Slamannan. However, it should be noted that 26302 Thomas White only turns up on a hospital list, with no mention (that I can find) on a casualty list. It may be that your grandfather's wounding was not published in the official lists and has not been caught in the hospital list safety net. Perhaps you will have searched the local newspapers already, but that seems the most hopeful avenue of enquiry, especially when he was part of a group of men who all enlisted together.

Stuart

Stuart

Hi here's his MIC (you've probably got this)

Mel

Mel,

Thanks for the MIC (I didn't have it) and thanks also to those who posted replies and put me on the right direction.

Regards

Hugh