Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Accountants in WW1

folkestone_jack

I thought it might be useful to mention a couple of resources that have just been published on the website of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales in the hope that this might prove useful to someone...

'With the colours: a list of chartered and incorporated accountants and their clerks who are serving with the British Forces on land and sea, 1914-1916'

This is a scanned version of the book published in 1916 which lists the names of those serving, the unit they were serving with and the firm they worked for in peacetime.

Accountancy Ancestors - First World War

This is an index of accountants, their staff and the sons of accountants who served in the First World War and were mentioned in the accountancy press. This resource has been compiled by the staff of the Institute's Library & Information Service and provides an index to the columns in a number of accountancy magazines reporting news from the front.

Both can be accessed at http://www.icaew.com/ww1

Excellent. Found my man - so I now know who he worked for.

It lists him having letters after his name - A.S.A.A. Any idea what this might mean? I don't think he was a fully qualified accountant - Associate of the Society of Something OrOther?

John

Could be useful, but very sloooowwww... In fact it kicked me out of Internet completely and shut down the browser when I tried to access one of the pages.

• 1 month later...

I'm now having what seems to be the same problem as Charles did a couple of months back. Can anyone else get into the site?

I'm looking for the employees of a Manchester practice called David Smith, Garnett & Co.

I know two are called Weston and Worthington and are listed. There's certainly a third called F S Abbott and I'm particularly interested to know if he's listed and, if so, who he served with.

John

I'm now having what seems to be the same problem as Charles did a couple of months back. Can anyone else get into the site?

I'm looking for the employees of a Manchester practice called David Smith, Garnett & Co.

I know two are called Weston and Worthington and are listed. There's certainly a third called F S Abbott and I'm particularly interested to know if he's listed and, if so, who he served with.

John

John

No problem getting into the site (my pc runs linux with firefox if that helps) and no sign of FS Abbott on the rolls

John

Can't see F S Abbott on page 1.

In the Firm index there are 8 page refs to Smith, Garnett & Co, David (Manchester)

Page 14, Catterall, S., ASAA > 6th Manchester

Page 29, Gibson, D.G. (2nd Lt) > 19th Royal Fusiliers

Page 32, Gregg, T.W. > 2/6th Manchester

Page 49, Lupton, Leonard > KO 2nd Lancaster

Page 74, Stone, W.M., (Lt) > Lancs Fusiliers

Page 82, Watts, W.K., > 15th Royal Scots

Page 83, Weston, J.H., > 6th Manchester

Page 86, Worthington, T.R., ASSA (Sgt) > "C" Company, 6th Manchester

HTH - this source has been invaluable to me (because of one line!)

David

Thanks, gents.

Looks like Abbott didnt serve then. I have a copy of the back of a postcard Worthington had sent him from Gallipoli (in which he mentions Abbott's letter to Weston).

John