Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WKR KITTY WALCROFT

303man

It is a long shot, but has anyone a photo with Wkr Kitty Walcroft QMAAC on it. if you dont ask and all that. Or maybe some clues as to where to start looking.

It is a long shot, but has anyone a photo with Wkr Kitty Walcroft QMAAC on it. if you dont ask and all that. Or maybe some clues as to where to start looking.

Sorry, I could do with one myself. I have a photograph of her grave and also her memorial plaque if that is of any help.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, your long shot paid off! I have a photocopy of a picture of Kitty Walcroft and I think my sister has the original. The picture has "your loving Kitt" written on the front of it. My grandmother was Kitty's sister. I am wondering why you are looking for a picture of Kitty. Also, I'd be interested in seeing the pictures of Kitty's grave and memorial plaque.

Wkr K Walcroft

Enroled in the Womans Army Auxiliary Corps 09/05/18 Aged 23 as a Telephone Operator

her address is listed as 39 Carrisbrooke Rd, Newport, Isle of Wight

Went to Etaples on 25/05/18

Her Etaples record shows her as 5 ft Tall weighing 105 lbs

The Army form W5080

lists 5 sisters

aged 53, 43, 31, 29, 27,

the 27 & 43 year old sisters listed as living 8 East 79th Street New "XXxXXx" unreadable word

On 12 Feb 1919 a telegram was sent to Mr J Walcroft 39 Carrsibrooke Rd

"regret to inform you 39494 Kitty Walcroft dangerously ill at second Stationary Hospital Abbeville permission to visit cannot be granted letter follows"

• 10 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 28/11/2008 at 22:44, 303man said:

the 27 & 43 year old sisters listed as living 8 East 79th Street New "XXxXXx" unreadable word

That's New York City. 

can I get some help here... I'm trying to figure out who's who in the family and I'm confronted to some contradictory information. 

John Walcroft married twice... 

His first wife was Rebecca and he had three children with her: Fred (1873), Ellen "Nellie" (1875) and Walter (1879) 

Nellie is a Titanic survivor. she crossed to the US to live with her sister Lucy (Land but née Walcroft) and then during WWI came back on the same boat as Kitty, who's gone up and visit, to enlist as a cook with the WAAC. 

john's second wife was Louise Hicks, and with her he had at least four daughters, Kitty being the youngest. 

• Lucy (born 1887)  - married a Mr Land and emigrated to the US before 1911
  • Margaret (born 1885) married to Mr Reynolds who lived on the Isle of Wight
  • Eva (born very early in 1894 - same year as Kitty) who married a Mr Griffin and was by 1918 (enlistment papers of Kitty) living with Lucy in NY (and was still there in 1920 when Nellie rejoined them) 

Were there any other brothers?? 

Is there anything I'm missing??

Could somebody shine a light on this situation?? 

Thanks. 

Marilyne

Edited by Marilyne

Marilyne  I have Kitty's Memorial Plaque and also have the contact details of Family descendants in the USA who may have further information. Pam Cowen in a post above her Grand mother was Kitty's sister.

Edited by 303man

Marilyne (and Paul), You are welcome to pick the bones out of my notes.

Remarks: Kitty was the youngest daughter of John Walcroft and Louisa Hicks Walcroft. At the time of her birth they were living at 11 Denmark Terrace, Maidenhead. Her birth, as Kate Walcroft, was registered in the fourth quarter 1894 in the Cookham (Berkshire) registration district. In 1875 John was a brewer’s labourer, in the 1880’s he was a fishmonger and from the 1890’s until his death he was a carpenter. They eventually moved to

39 Carrisbrooke Road, Newport
, Isle of Wight. The 1901 census finds the family, as Wallcroft,  living at 80 Carrisbrooke Road, Newport, Isle of Wight. John Walcroft (b. 1852 in Sutton Courtenay, Berkshire, 1m. Rebecca Broughton on the 11th October 1873 in Sutton Courtenay, Berkshire, five children, she died 19th December 1884 in Abingdon following the birth of their son, John, 2m. Louisa Hicks in 1886, four children, 3m. Emma Gibbons in Maidenhead in 1919, d. in Maidenhead in 1947) is a carpenter married to Louisa Walcroft (nee Hicks, b. 1859 in Remenham, Berkshire, a confectioner, d. 26th May 1917 on the Isle of Wight). They have four children being Lucy Mary Walcroft (b. 9th May 1888 in Maidenhead, Berkshire, emigrated in 1911, m. Carl Henning Land in 1911 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts, U.S.A., three children, d. 9th May 1981 in Taft, Kern County, California, U.S.A.), Anne Walcroft (actually Clara Annie Walcroft, b. 1st May 1890 in Maidenhead, m. John Eden Walton in 1917, d. 1955 in Sheffield, Yorkshire), Eva Jessie Walcroft (b. 12th April 1892 in Maidenhead, emigrated in 1915, m. John Alphonse V. Griffin on the 22nd December 1915 in Manhattan, New York, U.S.A., d. 29th May 1922 in Fairfield, Fairfield County, Connecticut, U.S.A.) and Kate Walcroft (b. 13th November 1894 in Maidenhead, d. 14th February 1919 in France). Another sibling was Margaret Rebecca Walcroft (b. 27th June 1886 in Abingdon, m. William Reynolds in Maidenhead in 1914, d. 1968 in Maidenhead, Berkshire). John's children with Rebecca were Fred Walcroft (b. 1874 in Sutton Courtenay, d. 1893 in Cookham, Berkshire). Next came Ellen Walcroft (known as Nellie, b. 9th December 1876 in Maidenhead, emigrated 1917, m. William George Lipscomb on the 14th June 1922 in New York, New York, U.S.A., d. 4th September 1949 in Brooklyn, Kings, New York, U.S.A.). She had survived the sinking of the Titanic. She had decided to visit her half-sister, Lucy Land, who was living at Ruddington Farm, Mamaroneck, New York with her husband who had gained employment as a chauffeur. Ellen could not find suitable employment and in 1917 she returned to the UK and became a forewoman cook with the QMAAC. She returned to the U.S.A. and obtained employment with Henry Schniewand living in his house at 8 E. 79th Street, Manhattan, New York. She was presented with the British Empire Medal by the Consul General in New York on the 1st November 1920. Next came Walter Walcroft followed by Arthur Walcroft (b. 1882 in Abingdon, m. Lydia Knott in 1909 in Maidenhead, at least one child, d. 1924 in Maidenhead) and John Walcroft (b. 16th December 1884 in Abingdon (registered as Wallcroft 1st Q. 1885), d. 16th January 1885 in Abingdon). John's children with Louisa were Margaret Rebecca Walcroft, Lucy Mary Walcroft, Clara Annie Walcroft, Eva Jessie Walcroft and Kate Walcroft. The 1911 census finds the family living at 4 Furze Road, Furze Platt, Maidenhead, Berkshire. John Walcroft is a carpenter who had been married to Louisa Walcroft (now showing born in Ramsden, Oxfordshire) for 25 years and had five children. Four children were at home being Walter Walcroft (b. 1879 in Maidenhead, a carpenter, m. Emily K. Townsend in 1916 in Abingdon, Berkshire, d. 1921 in Devizes, Wiltshire), Lucy Walcroft (now a dress maker), Annie Walcroft (now a domestic nurse) and Kate Walcroft (now a telephone operator for the National Telephone Company). Kitty enlisted on the 9th May 1918 and was employed as a telephonist. She sent a photograph home which she had signed “Yours lovingly, Kitten. 1918” and it is assumed that this may have been a pet name within the family. She went to Etaples on the 25th May 1918. She was 5’ tall, 30 ½” chest and weighed 105 lbs. She suffered from a sore throat which became worse. She was admitted to 2 Stationary Hospital (Abbeville) on the 22nd January 1919 and discharged on the 1st February 1919. She was readmitted on the 8th February 1919 and pronounced dangerously ill with influenza on the 12th February 1919. A telegram was sent to her father on the 12th February 1919 to say that she was dangerously ill but his request to visit was turned down. I am indebted to Pam Cowan (descendant of Lucy Walcroft) for much of the information here including photographs. One of these is of a group of wooden grave markers used by the CWGC before stone ones were positioned. These were made available to relatives if requested and are in MountJoy cemetery, Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight. The memorial plaque is in a private collection. The headstone bears the personal inscription “Not lost but gone before”. National Archive WO 398/224. CWGC. YMP3

Jim, thank you very much for this!!! 

You just made my life so much more easy !!! 

M.