Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cause of Death

chrisharley9

Below I have attached an image of the illness that caused my gentlemans retirement

1. what does it say - I can make out arterial

2. Could this be connected with a cerebal tumour

Chris

Doc1.doc

I think it says "arterial sclerosis" which could be linked to a stroke. Can't answer the second question though, I'm afraid.

Thank you both for that very valuable info

Chris

Well thanks for that info - it has cleared some muddy waters

Chris

Chris, do you have any other details about the effects experienced by the gentleman in question? Arterial sclerosis can produce several problems with the brain. It may be possible to give you a more precise indication of what happened and why.

Robert

Robert

sorry but the cause of his discharge was arterial sclerosis whilst his cause of death was cerebal tumour (nature unknown) - I unfortunately have no further info to add that can be gleaned from his records

Chris

Doc

thanks very much - as far as Im concerned without more detailed info on this gentleman the case is closed

Chris

Chris,

I'm surprised you didn't PM DOC2. He's a bloody Doctor (Consultant) and he's very kindly already agreed to provide this service with our non-com cases! :lol:

Don't forget that often DC's were filled out by doctors merely making an educated guess on the cause of death. I had a case where a man was severely gassed in the trenches. He returned home from military hospital and his lungs finally packed in completly! The Doctor on his DC gave cause of death as "Respiritory Disease". The certifying doctor knew nothing of his recent war service and the fact the poor sod had been gassed :o

It MAY still be possible to argue his case?