Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Something not quite right here ...

liverpool annie

I wonder if I could ask for help please .... I'm looking for WILLIAM WATSON PARKIN but the CWGC and the medal card don't add up do they ? .....

Thanking you in advance

Annie :)

In Memory of

Private WILLIAM WATSON PARKIN

266247, (3881). 1st/7th Bn., Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

who died age 18

on 01 July 1916

Son of John George and Mary Parkin, of 34, Colliery Rd., Nottingham.

Remembered with honour

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=808251

Medal card of Parkin, William H

Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment 3881 Private

Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment 266247 Private

Date

1914-1920

http://www.rootschat.com/links/04o9/

It's not unusual to find members of the TF being renumbered with six figure numbers this early on especially if they're an MIA, hence being on Thiepval Memorial. There was a laid down period of time before an MIA could officially be described as "Died", this was to give the Red Cross time to conduct queries into whether or not he was a POW. I believe the period for queries was about six months and so this is where these anomalies crop up.

I do have an Instruction somewhere at home which was circulated to Records Offices telling them not to send out casualty forms declaring a man 'dead' when he was returned as 'missing' and a casualty could only be declared as 'dead' when all avenues of enquiry were exhausted.

Thanks Graham for that !

I thought maybe they had mixed and matched information on two different men ....

CWGC is for William Watson and the medal card is for William H

I'm unsure if this is really his medal card

Annie,

An awful lot of 1/7th Foresters were 'missing' after Gommecourt on 1st July 1916, my Great Uncle being one. Therefore, as they were still not officially regarded as dead by the time of TF renumbering in the Spring of 1917, they were issued with the six figure numbers.

Hi,

From what I can see Soldiers Died and the 1/7th battalion history both have him listed as William Hudson Parkins, the PRO have him as William H and also confirms the number change. The 6 digit number begining 26 also is correct for a 7th battalion man,

Richard

Annie,

All of the Medal Rolls/SWB Lists and MIC's are littered with clerical errors. To me you have the right two numbers, Christian and surname. An error has crept in where an 'H' has be substituted for a 'W' or the clerks writing is bad and his 'W' looks like and 'H'.

Coincidence. I typed in William Watson instead of Parkin on Ancestry and put his no. 3881 and got a hit, William H Watson of Yorks Regiment.

Neil

Edit. William H Parkin's MIC has Died 01/07/1916

Annie

Medal Role if it helps

post-4619-1225739202.jpg

Thank you Gentlemen very much !!

I appreciate your help ..... so he really is Hudson !! :rolleyes:

I was in a quandry whether it was him or not !

I know he died First Day of the Somme .... so everything ties in ... thanks for the medal roll Mike !