Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Artistic Licence?

Desdichado

I was browsing through my local hobby shop the other day, hoping to find a 1/48th scale Sopwith Camel. They didn't have one but they did stock a 1/48th Fokker DVII that looked good. I've got a modest collection of box art and this one caught my eye. The DVII had just shot down a French Spad XIII, the pilot of which is shown deploying a parachute that looked like the seat-type pack used in the Second World War. I know that parachutes were used by the German Air Service at times during 1918, but I didn't know the French used them too, or was this just a bit of artistic licence?

I was browsing through my local hobby shop the other day, hoping to find a 1/48th scale Sopwith Camel. They didn't have one but they did stock a 1/48th Fokker DVII that looked good. I've got a modest collection of box art and this one caught my eye. The DVII had just shot down a French Spad XIII, the pilot of which is shown deploying a parachute that looked like the seat-type pack used in the Second World War. I know that parachutes were used by the German Air Service at times during 1918, but I didn't know the French used them too, or was this just a bit of artistic licence?

As far as I know Britain was the only one of the Allies that got any where near issuing parachutes to aircrew having ordered 500 Mears back pack chutes in late Sept 1918. They weren't ready by the end of the war.

Both Germany and the KuK did use chutes of various designs. The difference seems to have been that the British authoritess were not willing to approve designs until they were proven to be of very high reliability (say 99.5% working when used) whereas the Central powers were willing to accept a significantly lower reliability.

I suspect that the artwork may be artists licence