Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

38596 Pte Herbert Barnes- 7th Y and L

Anthony Bagshaw

Hi All,

Just wondered which papers etc i could possibly find something about this chap?

I have recently purchased his medals along with his service papers (He was discharged wounded in July 1918 having suffered wounds to his eye, elbow and back), but would love to find out more about him if it exists anywhere. What are the Bradford papers like, a photo would be great.

Any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance

Anthony

The reference library has an index of all reports of casualties, missing etc that were reported in the local rag, as well as a microfilm of the city roll of honour. They are normally willing to check these in response to a friendly email. It might take a few days.

I will be in the area around the end of the year, and might be able to get you a pic if the original address survives. Judging by Google it still does - just a few minutes from the parish church.

It looks as if his service records are on Ancestry - 19 images. Oh sorry- you have those already.

The clippings in the Library include only a modest number of photos, but you could be lucky.

Keith

Hi All,

Just wondered which papers etc i could possibly find something about this chap?

I have recently purchased his medals along with his service papers (He was discharged wounded in July 1918 having suffered wounds to his eye, elbow and back), but would love to find out more about him if it exists anywhere. What are the Bradford papers like, a photo would be great.

Any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance

Anthony

If his service papers have NoK details the 1901 Census may tell you more about his family. You can access the online index to this (without subscription I believe), and copies of the Census Enumerator's book (giving relationships, occupations, possibly address etc. - by subscription or PAYG)

The Y&L Museum at Rotherham may also be able to help.

HTH

David

He has an entry in the published Bfd Roll of Honour -

"BARNES, H, Private, York and Lancaster Regt.

He joined in October 1916, and drafted overseas in the following March was engaged in heavy fighting in various parts of the line and was wounded in the Battle of Arras in 1917. Rejoining his battalion on recovery, he served at Arras and Ypres, and was again wounded in July 1917. Sent home to hospital he received treament for eleven months and was discharged as physically unfit for further service in July 1918. He holds the General Service and Victory Medals.

29, Holdsworth Square, Victoria Road, Eccleshill, Bradford."

Local Studies in Bfd are an excellent bet - there's a good chance you'll get a photo, although having spent time going through Bfd press of the time the quality could be a bit dodgy. I would have checked for you, but unfortunately I've just moved out of the area and it's no longer convenient (damn shame, because it's got some of the best local WWI resources I've seen)!

Dan.

Guys,

Thank you all for your excellent replies.

Keith,

Thankyou, the paperwork includes a photo of his house as it still stands today, but thank you for your offer! The reference library seems the place to try- i presume that they listed all those who fought as well as those who died? I will drop them an email tonight and see if they can dig anything up for me.

David,

Thank you, i may write to the Y and L museum but i will see what comes up from the Library first

Dan,

The information you have provided is fantastic. It certainly makes it very interesting to read and i am really looking forward to finding out more, especially if there is a photo in the Library.

I have sent an email and hope some good news comes back!!

Anthony

The press cuttings collection seem to cover all the reports of casualties that were published in the local paper. The city roll of honour seems to be comprehensive, although I am aware of one omission, a Bradford man who served in the Royal Scots. One of these days I will approach the mayor's office and try to get his name added.

Keith

Keith,

Thank you, it's looking good then!

Cheers

Quickly looking at the Ancestry papers it states there 18 pages, yet I can only see 8/9, this is a shame as I now have 4 soldiers service records for the 7th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment, which was my granddads Battalion.

Hi Roger,

I noticed this too, suppose that's Ancestry for you.

I haven't had a response from Bradford Central Library yet, hope to have one soon!

Hi there all, thanks for the mention of Herbert Barnes.

Anthony, I have today downloaded what is there on his service record to go with the other 3 from the 7th Battalion Y&L.

Cheers Roger.

• 4 weeks later...

Just bumping this one back up- i have sent a couple of emails to the Bradford Library with no joy- if anyone can help it would be most appreciated

Just bumping this one back up- i have sent a couple of emails to the Bradford Library with no joy- if anyone can help it would be most appreciated

I'll be spending a day or two in the Library and Archives in Bradford sometime in January - possibly in the first week of the new year. If you are still looking send me a pm about then and I'll have a dig around.

Keith

Keith,

That would be excellent, very many thanks!