The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st / 7th Bn The King's Liverpool Regiment

brett361975

I am looking into the service of 1471 Private Fredrick Charney (Spelt Chorney on his 14-15 Star). He died on the 16th May 1915.

Would anyone be able to give me any more information as to where and in what action this young man lost his life.

Or would anyone have the war diarys for the regiment covering this period?

I have just picked up his 14 15 star in the last half hour so any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Brett

I am looking into the service of 1471 Private Fredrick Charney (Spelt Chorney on his 14-15 Star). He died on the 16th May 1915.

Would anyone be able to give me any more information as to where and in what action this young man lost his life.

Or would anyone have the war diarys for the regiment covering this period?

I have just picked up his 14 15 star in the last half hour so any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Brett

If you send me PM with your email address I'll send account and map of the action

Regards

Martin

Brett,

Here is a photograph of Charney’s name on the Le Touret memorial.

Charney attested aged 17years and 2 months on 16th May 1912, two years to the day of his death, Captain Paul Hemylrick was his attesting officer.

Charney was a French Polisher by trade, 5’5” and in good health. He lived in the Smithdown Road area of the city.

On the 17th March 1915 he was given 2 days Field Punishment No 2 for Committing a Nuisance, this happened at Vendin-Les-Bethune, this fact is interesting as the first two members of the Battalion 2087 Beveridge and 2084 Webb were killed on this day and I wonder if his actions were carried out in shock at the death of possible mates?

post-1138-1225558785.jpg

All the best,

Paul.

Thank you Paul,

Would you happen to have any more details of this man? may I ask how you found this information please?

Thanks

Brett

Brett,

I have been researching the 7th King’s for many years now, all of the information I have on Pte Charney is in the public domain, C.W.G.C. National Archive. Ancestry and Soldiers Died in the Great War.

As far as extra information goes I have a list of effects returned to his Mother they are,

1 Wallet, 1 Testament, 1 Note Book, Letters, Postcards, Photos, 1 Imperial Badge.

He was from a large family having 2 Brothers and 3 Sisters.

All the best,

Paul.

Martin ,Paul,

Thank you very much for all the information, maps ect.

Kind regards

Brett