Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC Remembrance Wall

Paul Reed

The BBC Remembrance Wall is now active at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/remembrance/wall/

Here you can add details about Great War soldiers and create an online memorial for them. You can upload a photo of the person, and add a biography of up to 4000 characters in length. The support staff have to approve each new entry, which can take up to two working days.

You have to register to use the service, but you don't have to use your real name, and it is optional whether you register an email address; however this would be useful if you wanted some feedback on any of your entries.

I just added my first entry and found it simple and easy to use.

Personally I think this is a great way to memorialise all those soldiers many of us have researched over the years, as well as our own relatives who served.

Thanks for highlighting this Paul, have just registered. It certainly appears to be a good way to commemerate all our hard work,

cheers, Jon

The BBC Remembrance Wall is now active at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/remembrance/wall/

Here you can add details about Great War soldiers and create an online memorial for them. You can upload a photo of the person, and add a biography of up to 4000 characters in length. The support staff have to approve each new entry, which can take up to two working days.

You have to register to use the service, but you don't have to use your real name, and it is optional whether you register an email address; however this would be useful if you wanted some feedback on any of your entries.

I just added my first entry and found it simple and easy to use.

Personally I think this is a great way to memorialise all those soldiers many of us have researched over the years, as well as our own relatives who served.

PAul

Thanks for this: I would guess quite a few forum members will post on it (hint hint to all)

Tony

PS Some memorial photos on the way to you

I tried to use this but it didn't like the message I was leaving

"We were unable to accept the input you submitted.

Please read any error messages shown below, then use your browser's Back button to return to your input form.

Make any required changes, then try submiting the form again.

Error messages (if any):

Profanity - James Nulty fell at Ginchy, France on 9th September 1916. He left a widow, Bridget, living in Prescot, Lancashire. He rests in Villers-Brettoneux Military Cemetery contains a rude word"

Anybody spot the rude word in what I wrote, which is in bold? I can't.

Have submitted my grandfathers details to the site, he survived the great war but lost his leg this day in 1918 while serving with the 3rd london regt. (ryl. fusilers ) at Blehaires in Belgium, He is remembered by his grandson, proud to share his name.

regards.

John.

Error messages (if any):

Profanity - James Nulty fell at Ginchy, France on 9th September 1916. He left a widow, Bridget, living in Prescot, Lancashire. He rests in Villers-Brettoneux Military Cemetery contains a rude word[/i]"

Anybody spot the rude word in what I wrote, which is in bold? I can't.

Erm... no. Not even Prescot (one 't')...

Seamus, there is only one "T" in Prescot.

And no doubt there'll be plenty of profanity on a Friday night, but there was none in my message. Perhaps the BBC are getting a bit tetchy about language used on their channels

:D

What a bizarre error message! The only vaguely (and I mean vaguely ... as well as misspelled) "rude" thing I can see in there is "fell at Gin" :o

Remember this has only gone online today. There are bound to be a few glitches. The webteam responsible for this site know about this thread, so am sure they will look into this.

Thanks for the pointer Paul. Fitting place to pay tribute.

Susan.

Lots of new postings on The Wall today, plus new content. Well worth checking out.
It's looking good Paul. But will the Beeb be adding other regiments to the drop down list? In my case Canadian...

It's looking good Paul. But will the Beeb be adding other regiments to the drop down list? In my case Canadian...

True. No Yeomanry Regiments on there.

Chris C

I thought they were going to add some more - I would drop them an email via the site. I suspect it will be fairly easy to add these to the drop down list. I will also alert them as well.

Seamus, there is only one "T" in Prescot.

:D - I was thinking of the former minister for Jags and urban demolition... thought that might be the objectionable content... :mellow:

A very good idea. Unfortunately I have just wasted several minutes submitting an entry for my great-uncle only to be told that the word 'Wellesbourne' (the village in Warwickshire he came from) supposedly contains a profanity, as in the earlier post. I pressed the back button but went back to a blank form-my input had been lost.

Just had a look at the Wall and think it is a superb and more importantly, accessible way to bring together all the information which ordinary people have stashed away. I know I have photos from a number of family sources which are named but for which I have no further detail, hopefully if I post them someone will recognise the name or face and come up with some answers.

I was going to visit a number of memorials connected with the family tomorrow but instead I'll pay my respects by preparing details to go with the photos I'll post on the Wall. Can't think of a better way to focus my attention on each of my men and woman who served. I'll also be emailing all my genealogical contacts to make sure they are aware of the opportunity both to post and to see if any of their twigs have been posted. I only hope the "experts" don't get too critical either of the site or the content, in my view it is better to have something than nothing and the project is worthy of wholehearted support.

Remembering in particular tomorrow the men listed below but also their comrades - those who survived with the memories and those who did not

Jan

A very good idea. Unfortunately I have just wasted several minutes submitting an entry for my great-uncle only to be told that the word 'Wellesbourne' (the village in Warwickshire he came from) supposedly contains a profanity, as in the earlier post. I pressed the back button but went back to a blank form-my input had been lost.

Looks like they got you on "Wel(LESBO)urne!! :lol: It's the old one; if typhoo put the tea in Britain...then there's a reference to Scunthorpe as I remember. In the earlier days of t'interweb my partner worked at Middlesex University - no one could contact them!!

Chris C

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. How many totally innocent English words contain such 'profanities'? It's a great idea but they need to sort that nonsense out.

If anyone with any imput to the Wall is reading this, I could do with an entry for the RGA - 2 of my family photos are of men who served with them.

Thanks

Jan

• 4 years later...

Hi All,

I recently (today) came accross this BBC site, i was just doing a general google, for 9th KRR in which my great uncle Wilfred Claud March served, and i was fairly astounded to see a memorial to him, copy attached.

The chap who posted the memorial is unknown to me, or my family but he states that there is a photo of Wilfred, and also that medals etc are being looked after.

So my question is does anyone know if it is possible to make contact with the poster,i realise the site is now 5yrs old but i would dearly love to get a copy of that photo.

I tried searching around the BBC site but to no avail.

Many Thanks

Grahampost-96771-0-16437000-1372177308_thumb.j

Use 192.com, put in the name Iain Taggart into people search and a few come up. Buy some credits which will give you their addreses. If luck is with you he may be one of them.

Mandy

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to register to post on this web-site? Apologies in advance for my lack of IT skills but all I could find was this FAQ ... Why can't I submit any more soldier profiles ?

The campaign ran from the start of November for six months. The submissions period was timed to capture revived interest in WWI surrounding the 90th anniversary of the Armistice, however it was not intended to be an on going project. The archive finally closed in Summer 2009. I must be looking in the wrong place - Thanks in advance!