Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Knocked out tank

john_g_4472

I have just obtained this card via e-bay. The seller thought that it (and several others) had originally been purchased in Berlin by a British soldier in 1919. Indeed, the original purchaser wrote on the back that "This is a German tank (smashed by us)." I can see that the subject of a knocked out British tank might appeal to a German producer of postcards, but it is the "No 60" written on the front that puzzles me. Would not a German abbreviate Nummer as Nr?

Any thoughts please?

John.

post-38588-1225444292.jpg

John,

I think this is a photo of tank 799, which was much photographed over a period of time. It is a Lincoln Mark II machine, I believe. Photographed after the 1917 battle of Boulencourt (forgive spelling). If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me

Tanks3

I think you're right about the tank - location was near Bullecourt

S

It's not an A7, so it could only be a "Beutepanzer", however it lacks the German Maltese crosses to identify it as such. The battlefield also looks too much like 3rd Ypres, rather than the relatively unspoilt landscapes the German tanks were traversing in 1918.

It's not an A7, so it could only be a "Beutepanzer", however it lacks the German Maltese crosses to identify it as such. The battlefield also looks too much like 3rd Ypres, rather than the relatively unspoilt landscapes the German tanks were traversing in 1918.

Beutepanzers were only Mk IVs this is the earlier MK II (with a Mk I sponson probably). Definitely a British tank

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your postings; Simon's reference to the earlier thread was particularly interesting.

I have since been shown a postcard that is most certainly German-made, and it has written on the front "No.77". The abbreviation "No" does therefore seem to be present on German cards, though I'm not sure why.

John.

The wrecked tank seen in the photo above is WD no. 586 (D28), which was destroyed during the First Battle of Bullecourt on 11/4/17. (Apologies for my mis-identification in the thread which Simon has linked to - my posts there have been edited for correction.) All of the close-up photos of this wreck which I have seen appear to have been taken by German photographers. Allied troops did not re-occupy the wreck's location until the final advance in 1918. The photo below shows a more distant view from the direction of the Australian lines. (Courtesy of the AWM)

post-11482-1225502060.jpg