Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Farewell to Arms.

Guest WALCKER

Guest WALCKER

My question is. How many of you have read the book "A Farewell to Arms" and what did you think of it? Thanks.

Walcker

Hi there,

I have read the book in question and have to admit that I found it intensely boring. I did my dissertation on literature from the First World War and read many contemporary novels, and I must admit that this was the worst. Admitedly every one has there own taste and is entited to their own opinion but for me I found it to slow and rambling. But then again I am not a big Hemmingway fan full stop. For me it is hard to beat ´The Middle Parts of Fortune´by Fredric Manning or ´The Patriot's Progress' by Henry Williamson. There are so many good novels about the war that I find it baffling that this one remains talked about. There was a far better memoir about the Italian Front called 'Across the Piave' the author's name escapes me now but he wrote two other very famous First World War Memoirs, possibly Norman Gladden or something like that. Have you read it?

All the best,

Tim

p.s. try and avoid the film version of it too!

Well I am in the process of reading it and it has been pretty slow. But I will stick out. I have read 2 other WW1 novels. "All Quiet On The Western Front" and "Johnny Got His Gun". Western front was the best and I thought Johnny was alittle weird but still pretty good. Thanks for you input.

Walcker

I think you're missing the point. Although set in WWI, it is not a war novel. It is a novel about love and devotion. If you don't like Hemmingway, you won't like it. I loved the novel for it's manly romantic view of love and a woman's devotion. It was popular for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was its plot revolving around illicit sex.

Comparing it to All Quiet and Johnny Got his Gun is, frankly, apples and oranges. Everything set in WWI is not a war novel. The War is an actor in Farewell but only in that it provides the main character a reason for being there and a reason for leaving and as an immovable, tryannical force the character must either submit to or escape. Think of it as a Chick Flick of war novels ...

I never said it was a war novel. I have not read any other Hemmingway novels. I will continue reading it and when i am finshed will post what i thought of it. Thanks for the input.

Walcker