Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Where is this memorial please?

centurion

This is the Guynemer Memorial in Poelkapelle, 8 km northeast of Ypres (Flanders, Belgium)

Aurel

P.S. Sorry, N Cherry, you've beaten me with 2 minutes, while I was measuring the distance Ypres - Poelkapelle. ;)

Thanks

I wonder why there is a WW1 tank in the process of being scrapped nearby.

post-9885-1225276985.jpg

Before the memorial was built, the village had a tank displayed on the same spot.

Tom

That explains it - thanks

one French village that had a tank was Montbrehain which owned Lurcher. This tank was removed by the Germans in 1941

post-9885-1225311886.jpeg

Talking this summer to a local resident, the tank was in the main street in the village until 1940. It was then removed by the Germans (for scrap?) and thus denying the local children something upon which to play, as they had done since 1918. The elderly man I was speaking too still thinks the Germans ought to return "their" tank!

Bruce

A Mk IV Female, no number visible, red and white recognition stripes. There is a St Souplet web site with a photo donated by a member of a local society. Not sure of the rights and wrongs of posting this. If you can't find the site PM me.

Thanks Centurion. Couldn't get the link to work but found the St Souplet photo anyway. I think it has a serial number, but it's hard to read. 2598 possibly?

Gwyn

• 4 weeks later...
Trying to determine where this memorial is in Britain

Hi

I took a very similar picture back in the mid 1970's - good to be reminded where it is .

What about these others - ring any bells any one ?

Thanks

Kevin

In Memory of Gunner J H Gent 1/1 Cambs & 118 MGC

"Few came through unscathed, but though they suffered they endured " . ( Colonel M C Clayton 1/1 Cambs )

post-36052-1228383605.jpg

• Admin

Passchendaele New British cemetery is top left, possibly Cement House top right

Michelle