Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vampire dugout

towisuk

Hi Brendan,

The two main galleries of the dugout were cleared during the filming of the documentary. After the filming finished a lot of us remained for a while to continue working on the dugout. The earth and rock that had made its way down one of the inclined stairways was completley removed. This took 2 of us many hours and a lot of back breaking, but very interesting work. Towards the top of the incline (the first few meters) the wooden framework was missing, evident in may WW1 dugouts today, more than likely removed by returning civilians after the war in their search for wood. The second inclined stairway was only partially cleared. The stepped incline was dog legged and the first section of the stairs from the dugout up to the landing was cleared. The rest was still full of mud and was left as is.

Regards

Iain

Iain thank you kindly for the info,the programme was a fascinating insight into what these bunkers were like,an excellent piece of work done by you all.

Brendan

Iain thank you kindly for the info,the programme was a fascinating insight into what these bunkers were like,an excellent piece of work done by you all.

Brendan

Yes, I'd echo that. It was a great opportunity to see a part of the Great War that is quite literally hidden away, both now and at the time. Shades of Tutankhamen... If you see what I mean. I never knew quite what to expect next and there was always that tantalising edge to the whole thing. :D

Thanks for the kind words chaps. I feel I can say for all involved in the project that there was never a time whilst we were on site that we were not "in awe" of the skill and workmanship of the tunnellers involved in making Vampir. For me, it was my first time involved on a project like that and it has left a long lasting mark on me. I will never forget the smell of the dugout, difficult to describe really but very evocative. I cant believe it all happened 2 years ago!

Regards

Iain

Nor can I mate but it did! I will also never forget the faces of my tour members when they re emerged from that deep dark shaft.

The sooner the tunnelers memorial is in place the better. I look forward to attending the inauguration ceremony alongside you with relish. Keep up the great work on behalf of these brave men mate. They of all deserve it!

Chris.

• 2 months later...

Just watched a 90 minute Time Team special featuring Tony Robinson & Peter Barton excavating the Vampire Bunker at Flanders.

It must have been hell living underground although it appears that this bunker was never finished.

Brave souls !!!!

Tony

I've just started reading 'Beneath Flanders Fields' about the tunnelling aspect of the war after reading reference to it on this forum - definitely a worthy purchase! (plus some excellent photos too!)