Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mazlum Bey, Commandant of Afion Kara Hissar

leanes-trench

Can anybody give me details about the Turkish Army officer Mazlum Bey, who was the commandant of Afion Kara Hissar at one time? Was he ever accused of raping prisoners? Was he ever brought up on charges for his actions? I understand he was relieved of command for, I am told, cruelty towards prisoners, but that's all I know.

Would he happen to be the officer referred to as "Blue Bottle" in some diaries?

I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Many thanks,

Pat

• 4 weeks later...

Pat,

According to the diary of a Yeomanry POW, a copy of which I have in my possession, a Turkish officer known as Collassi Effendi was relieved of his command at Afyon Kara Hissar in May 1918 after the Red Cross discovered items from prisoners' parcels on open sale in the the nearby town. There was a wide-ranging investigation conducted by a Turkish colonel which uncovered evidence of looting of various items and failure to forward some prisoners' pay. There was also evidence of collusion within the camp. The diary makes no reference to brutality on anyone's the part, although there is mention of events that were evident to the diarist but not expressed in writing. The main concern seems to have been the inadequate diet and the constantly rising prices.

Nick

• 1 year later...

Dear Pat

Mazlum Bey was arrested in Constantinople on 2.6.1919 and deported to Malta. He was among about 140 Turkish War Criminals who were arrested and deported to Malta accused of participating in the Armenian Massacres and on the ill-treatment of British and Anzac Prisoners of War in Turkey during World War One. His detention number was 2707.

The Turkish war criminals were held in Malta until an international court was to be established by the Allies stipulated by the Sevres Treaty. Unfortunately, the Sevres Treaty was never ratified and a Turkish Nationalist movement headed by Kemal Ataturk resisted the demands of the Allies. Although not at war with Britain, the Turkish Nationalists captured and held hostage about 40 British soldiers (including Col. Rawlinson as their prised posession) whom they used as a bargaining tool in exchange for the 140 Turks in Malta. Due to the disunity of the Allies in their relations with the Nationalists, the British government decided to release all the Turkish detainees except the 8 who were accused of the ill-treatment of the British POWs as they feared a backlash by the British public. In the end, the British government also released the 8 without any conditions attached with no major outcry by the British public. Many contemporary writers including Colonel Edward Keeling in his book "Adventures in Turkey and Russia", condemn the release of the 140 war criminals.

Mazlum Bey was never brought to justice. Not because he was innocent, but because of the geo-politics at play in the region at the time. Geo-politics is also a reason why certain western countries continue to appease Turkey in its denial of the Armenian Genocide.

Regards

David

According to the diary of a Yeomanry POW, a copy of which I have in my possession, a Turkish officer known as Collassi Effendi was relieved of his command at Afyon Kara Hissar in May 1918

I believe that Collassi is a slightly garbled spelling in English letters of an Ottoman rank; and Effendi is simply an honorific title (like Mr). In that case, the Turkish officer could still be Mazloum Bey.

Regards,

Russell

Dear Mark

Thank you so much for this report. Could you please provide me with the full reference for this document i.e. Publication, page number etc.

Regards

David

Hi,

Its a free download from the National Archives, Cabinet papers. Catalogue Reference:CAB/24/85

Regards Mark