Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers shot at dawn

jay dubaya

There are 2 shot at dawn casualties named on the widnes war memorial however i cannot recall the names off hand one of the forum members jones 75 may be able to shed more light as he has researched the great war dead on the memorial.

Thanks Tom, I agree that there is little chance of keeping it a secret, even more so for a murder within a battalion, but it would appear that certain aspects were withheld from NoK in some cases, albeit at present I have no firm evidence of this and probably never will. If it were common knowledge and information freely available then I'm sure that the memorial commitee would have been aware of the circumstances, like John has already mentioned 'they would have baulked about the inclusion of a murderer' and yet Skone's name appears on the memorial.

There were 13 British service men shot for this offence, how many of them appear on memorials or rolls of honour?

What was UK public feeling surrounding wartime military executions, are there any newspaper articles available?

Izzy, many thanks for that, I've sent jones75 a message

Jon