Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Fissenden Violet I' on Halling (Kent) memorial.

Jayzi

Hello.

First of all can I say a big thank-you to the team of 'Kent Fallen' for such an interesting resource.

Whilst searching around on 'Kent Fallen' for inspiration for a little WW1 project to undertake I came across the photographs of the WW1 memorial in Halling (Kent) which has 'Fissenden Violet I' on it. On checking the CWGC database her name is not mentioned.

The writing at the top of the memorial makes specific reference to men and women of Halling (1914-1918)

So what have I found?

A civilian?

A mistake on the memorial?

A maiden name?

An occupation which qualified as 'war work'?

A missing name on the CWGC register?

Something that a novice like me has completely overlooked?

So as my first little project, I am going to learn about how to access the GRO (?) to get a death certificate to see what it tells me.

Regards.

Jonathan (Novice researcher!)

Hi Jonathan

WELCOME to the forum. Is it possible the 'I' in Violet I Fissenden could be an 'L'?

Have looked on Ancestry and find a Violet Louisa Fissenden b.June 1899, Strood, Kent. died 4th qtr 1918 @ Godstone ,Surrey. On 1901 census there is a Violet Susie Fessenden b.1899, Halling Kent living with her parents Edward and Jessie and sister Isabel Clara.Will keep looking

Regards Barry

Have rechecked Ancestry transcription is incorrect surname should be FISSENDEN on 1901 census not Fessenden, posted alternate name

I have carried out a search in the Times to no avail

Chris

Jonathan, Welcome to the forum :)

http://www.kentfallen.com/PDF%20REPORTS/HALLING.pdf

I remember taking that pic on a cold and wet winters day! It looks like a very modern civic tribute probably designed and constructed by the parish council ect in the past 4 years or so. Someone must have done their homework to come up with that list of local names. I wonder if it may be worthwhile trying to contact that person before spending your hard earned money?

If you manage to find out more by way of the DC, I'd very much like to see it? It's certainly something that warrants looking at if the name isn't recorded by the CWGC.

Are you aware that CIVILIAN casualties of the Great War (WW1) are NOT recorded whereas their counterparts in WW2 are recorded? It's quite likely that this lady was a civilian killed during a German air attack or perhaps an ammo worker killed in an explosion etc...

If you want a project then why not transcribe the whole thing? It might just save poor Dave Hughes's marriage! :D

If I can help you out then just email me (clarkneil@hotmail.co.uk).

All the very best

Neil

By the way Johnathan, we're ALL novices on here... :lol:

Are you aware that CIVILIAN casualties of the Great War (WW1) are NOT recorded whereas their counterparts in WW2 are recorded? It's quite likely that this lady was a civilian killed during a German air attack or perhaps an ammo worker killed in an explosion etc...

In which case please sign my petition

Chris

Hi again.

Thank you Inspector. I'm having 'open wallet surgery' at the dentist on Tuesday so afterwards I will drive over to Halling afterwards and have a look in person at the memorial. I just wonder if the crap weather was playing tricks with the light when picture taken (See Neils post above- No offence Neil!) Or perhaps a bit of wear and tear already setting in???? Also thanks for those 2 names, its worth noting that Strood is very very close to Halling. Depending on what Halling Parish Council say/have already found out I will be paying a visit to the local registry office. I guess I will be contacting Godstone as well.

Thank you Chris for searching the Times archive for me. Also for directing me to a worthy petition. I will be signing it.

Thank you Neil for the photo's of Halling memorial. I didn't realise it was a new one. I just thought it was a well kept/refurbished old one!!! I will take your advice and contact the Parish Council. Nope didn't realise WW1 civies not remembered by CWGC, only recently has WW1 taken over my research interests !!!!! Yep I will in near future be transcribing a memorial, kinda getting hooked on memorials and graveyards.

I will of course keep you all informed of what I find out.

Thank you all again for your help and advice.

Regards.

Jonathan.

In that case I think it likely she was a WW1 civilian killed by enemy action which means she's NOT entitled to a CWGC official commemoration. It stinks but there it is, WW1 civilians can go to hell whereas WW2 civilians are given the honour of an official tribute. It's not the fault of the CWGC, they can only act within their official remit (Royal Charter).

Let's all make sure we sign Chris Harley's petition here - http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/CIVILWARDEAD/

If ever you do decide to transcribe a Kent CIVIC war memorial, l will be happy to allow you to use our platform to display it on.

Regards

Neil

She may have been with an organisation that does not qualify for CWGC commemoration, perhaps a foreign one such as the French Red Cross. Forum member Jim Strawbridge is the expert on female casualties and has come across most names - if he doesn't spot this thread, try sending him a PM.

Hi all.

A little update.

Went over to Halling, speaking to a few locals Halling has 2 memorials. The other one I have found out is a plaque inside the church. Interestingly, according to an entry on the ukinvm (?) this older memorial has exactly the same number of WW1 and WW2 casualties as the newer one. Guess I will be going for another little drive soon :ph34r:

Nothing wrong with the light, Indeed it was an 'I' on the memorial. (Sorry Neil) :blush:

I have got the debit card out and spent ages going through the 1901 census and BMD records, to practice WW1 type research like Inspector above (Never done this before) I found out this:

Violet Susie Fissenden only exists on the 1901 census...no birth or death match on the GRO index.

Violet Louisa(e) Fissenden does not exist on the census...but has an entry in both birth and death GRO index which make her 2 ish in 1901 (like mysterious susie) and dying in 1918.

Thank you Greyhound for the advice. Much appreciated.

Anyway, I now have an index number to apply for a certificate. (Just gotta make out a final letter on a smudgy document!, so will use that freebie checking thing the GRO offer). I am so tempted not to wait for what the Parish council turns up!!!!!!!

Have signed the petition.

Take care all.

Jonathan.

• 11 years later...
On 29/10/2008 at 09:26, Greyhound said:

She may have been with an organisation that does not qualify for CWGC commemoration, perhaps a foreign one such as the French Red Cross. Forum member Jim Strawbridge is the expert on female casualties and has come across most names - if he doesn't spot this thread, try sending him a PM.

Better late than never. PaulC78 has just advised me of the name on the memorial. As I have not come across the name of Violet Fissenden/Fessenden before It seems likely that the memorial commemorates those that served from the village rather than those that died. Unfortunately Neil's photograph of the brass memorial does not clearly show the heading to see. I will do a little digging when time commits and hope that Jonathan (Jayzi) is still on the Forum to update.

This is the burial record:

Clipboard.jpg.51527ade25de2e4fefa96510ae11e882.jpg

I'm not the one to ask about uniforms and such, but from the photo someone uploaded to Ancestry my best guess is munitions.

War Memorials Online have other photos of the Halling Memorial: https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/136663/

The inscription at the top of the plaque reads: In proud and grateful memory of the men and women of Halling who gave their lives for their country in world conflicts - their names live forever. "When you go home, tell them of us, and say for your tomorrow, we gave our today."

Jim, I have a good friend in Halling if you need a fresh photo.

From the ancestry tree and looks like both sisters in the Women's Land Army or similar Agricultural organisation, so presumably Violet does not qualify for CWGC. Apparently the women in the Land army wearing breeches was considered quite shocking in some country villages.

Sisters Isabel Clara born 1897 (on left) & Violet Louisa FISSENDEN

147182871_ScreenShot2020-02-25at00_01_05.png.24dd1d944384fb6d618eed054d51b2c3.png

Isabel Clara FISSENDEN

482119236_ScreenShot2020-02-25at00_08_59.png.550dba2a69ac0c2cf006123e5bc13017.png

both images courtesy of ancestry

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 00.08.59.png

Edited by travers61

• 3 years later...
On 19/02/2020 at 02:13, Jim Strawbridge said:

Jane, yes I do. Thank you for the offer.

Can't recall whether I sent the one of the outdoor memorial, but here is the one inside the church.

img_1_1703348271603.jpg

24 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Thank you, Jane. Safely received. I don't suppose you have it as a jpeg do you?

I'll ask the friend who took it if she can send one over.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi 

I am researching the Halling War Memorial as part of my role with Halling Historical Society.  I came upon this today while researching George Lancley (also on the memorial) Should have noted this was from The Kent Messenger 16-Nov-1918

image.jpeg.ff57c1515f46fa483f0f0d3bdbe9316d.jpeg

Edited by AlanHinkley
Added reference to Newspaper date

Thank you Alan! I'll pass this on to my friend in Halling, if I may?

seaJane

Hello seaJane

No problem to pass on.. For info,  I have been on the Committee of Halling Historical Society for a couple of years now.  One of my projects has been investigating the names on the Halling War Memorial.  I have just added information for many of the people named to our website.  If I find any more info on Violet I will post here.

Alan

On 25/02/2020 at 00:22, travers61 said:

From the ancestry tree and looks like both sisters in the Women's Land Army or similar Agricultural organisation, so presumably Violet does not qualify for CWGC. Apparently the women in the Land army wearing breeches was considered quite shocking in some country villages.

Sisters Isabel Clara born 1897 (on left) & Violet Louisa FISSENDEN

147182871_ScreenShot2020-02-25at00_01_05.png.24dd1d944384fb6d618eed054d51b2c3.png

Isabel Clara FISSENDEN

482119236_ScreenShot2020-02-25at00_08_59.png.550dba2a69ac0c2cf006123e5bc13017.png

both images courtesy of ancestry

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 00.08.59.png

Having studied both photographs I am of the opinion that (Sisters Isabel Clara born 1897 (on left) & Violet Louisa FISSENDEN) it is Violet on the left and Isabel on the right.