The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MIC Leicester Regt - unusual reference?

Gloslad

Hi all

I’ve obtained the MIC for my Gt Grandfather but am baffled by the references on it. The man in question is Sgt Robert George Isaac, number 202459, Leicester Regt.

The MIC gives his service dates as Oct 1914 to Jan 1919, but no reference to any medals rolls – or at least none that I’m familiar with. I don’t believe he served overseas but was expecting to see a reference to a BWM??

There is just one reference on the MIC - “List F/A/1389” and it’s in the row entitled “Action taken

I’m no expert in this field so would be grateful for any advise from the Forum

Many Thanks

Andy

Again, no expert either but I thought a man who didn't serve overseas got no medals at all.

However, I think the reference to List F/A/1389 is actually regarding a Silver War Badge, it seems to ring bells as one of the codes used the Lichfield record office. This may explain the MIC as well as there were sometimes 2 cards, one for medals and one for the SWB or, if no medal entitlement, just the one MIC for the Silver War Badge.

Hope this helps

James O'Hara

Andy,

I have a copy of page FA/1359. All of the entries served overseas, some were discharged due to sickness, some wounds. If you give your Gt. Grandfather's name I will transcribe his entry. (Added -)

Only Sgt on page is:

Sgt, FRAKE Joseph Arthur, Leics, B287028, enlist 02/09/1914, discharge 11/08/1919, Wounds Para 392 (XVI), Yes (served overseas) B2079

Regards,

Stuart

The "S" on the SWB card would indicate "Sickness" as a cause of discharge.

As he enlisted in 1914 I would have expected to see a 4 figure number prior to the later 6 Figure TF number on the card as well,there doesnt appear to be another Card;it may be prudent to search the Medal Roll pages of the Leicesters to see if he is included & was somehow omitted from his Card{these type of cards usually have a "Rubber Stamp" entry for the Medal Roll references in the top right hand corner...

The BWM was not awarded for Home Service alone.

There are a number of other Leics Regt men with close numbers possibly none served O/S until later???NA List

Again, no expert either but I thought a man who didn't serve overseas got no medals at all.

However, I think the reference to List F/A/1389 is actually regarding a Silver War Badge, it seems to ring bells as one of the codes used the Lichfield record office. This may explain the MIC as well as there were sometimes 2 cards, one for medals and one for the SWB or, if no medal entitlement, just the one MIC for the Silver War Badge.

Hope this helps

James O'Hara

Hi Stuart

My Gt Grandfathers name was Robert George Isaac, he came from Langham in Rutland. Thanks for everyones help, much appreciated.

Andy

I have a copy of page FA/1359.... If you give your Gt. Grandfather's name I will transcribe his entry. (Added -)

His name is given in the first post - Robert George Isaac, 202459, Leicester Regt. However, the roll code is FA/1389, not FA/1359.

Cheers,

Stuart

Sorry,

for some reason I missed the name.

The correct SWB entry is:-

202459, Sgt., ISAAC Robert George, Leics, B/295661, enlist 01/10/1914, disch 24/01/1919, 2 Sickness 392(xvia), No to overseas

So Robert did not serve overseas,explaining the single MIC. (No BWM, VM).

Stuart

Sorry,

for some reason I missed the name.

The correct SWB entry is:-

202459, Sgt., ISAAC Robert George, Leics, B/295661, enlist 01/10/1914, disch 24/01/1919, 2 Sickness 392(xvia), No to overseas

So Robert did not serve overseas,explaining the single MIC. (No BWM, VM).

Stuart

Many Thanks Stuart - your help is much appreciated

Regards

Andy

• 1 month later...
Andy

There is an active Village History Group in Langham; if you look at their website you will find much useful information on Isaac, particularly at http://www.langhamvillage.com/history_pdf/...thamjournal.pdf

Enjoy!

"Ned"

An intersting read indeed, especially the references to Pte. Ernest James Munday and his family. On page 2 it notes that Pte Munday died of wounds and was buried in his home town with full honours. On page 3 there is an entry noting the death of his father 3 weeks later. Page 5 has a further entry regarding the death of his mother. It is tragic in that his father "took a chill" at his son's funeral and died of pneumonia. His mother also died of pneumonia 3 months later. Sadly three young children became orphans.

Rod