Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Where did this Royal Scots Fusilier live

Tom Morgan

12731 Cpl. John Morgan was killed in action 26th September 1915. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Loos Memorial.

CWGC says he was the

Son of Mr. and Mrs. David Morgan, of East Dron, Bridge-of-Earn, Perth; husband of the late Annie Clark Sturrock Morgan.

This Website about the War memorial at Stormontfield, Perth, shows him mentioned on the Memorial, has a photo of him and says he was the

Son of Mr and Mrs D Morgan, formerly of Lethendy, in the Parish of Scone, was born at Over Durdie, Kilspindie, on 12th December 1890. He was educated at Guildtown Public School before his enlistment he was employed as a forester on the Scone Estate for 7 years. He enlisted in Kitchener's Army on 3rd September, 1914. He proceeded to France in the beginning of July, 1915,and was killed in action at Hill 70, Loos, on Sunday 26th September, of the same year. In June, 1915, he married Annie Clark Sturrock, who died in October, 1918. He is survived by one little girl.

BUT - Soldiers Died in the Great War says he was born in Kilspindle, Perthshire, enlisted in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire and was a resident of Stapleford, Salisbury. And SDGW is the only record which actually says where he lived, rather than where he worked, or where his family lived.

Does anyone know of this soldier, and could anyone confirm where he lived?

Tom

Scotlands people has John Morgan as 10 yrs in 1901 cencus living with father David,mother Cathrine,sisters Jane and Anna .

Living at 25 Lethendy cottages .

Can't confirm where he lived as a young man Tom. However, the 1901 Census confirms that he was born at Kilspindie, Perthsire. In 1901 he's aged 10 and a scholar, with the family residing at Lethendy Cottages. His parents being David and Cathrine Morgan.

More will be revealed when the next Census comes out, unless you are successful in your search before then.

Hi all

He was obviously living in Swindon. (Registration Dist)Wilts in June 1915 when he married Annie Clark Sturrock, Volume 5a Page 1. The marriage cert will give his address etc. Stapleford, Salisbury, Wiltshire, confirms this.

Regards Barry

Thanks to all for your help. Barry - very useful to know that a record exists placing him in Swindon at the time of his marriage. Thanks for that.

Tom

• 1 month later...

Tom,

The 7th Royal Scots Fusiliers, were based at Chiseldon camp (about 5 miles south of Swindon) from March 1915 till July 1915

Grant

That is very interesting. I now wonder if SDGW list place of residence when enlisted or last place of residence before embarkation [other than in military camp] ie, in this example he was married away from home as a soldier. Were married soldiers allowed to live out of barracks in 1914-15 when married? The other possibility is that when they updated his service papers with his new NOK details, this has been taken as place of residence.

I wonder if he ever met his daughter? It seems unlikely.

I wonder what he was doing in Kilmarnock? As it appears he was still working at the Scone estate when he enlisted.

Next time I am in Perth Library, I will have a look in the local papers and see if there is any other info.

Regards,

Stewart

Does not relate directly to your John Morgan but you might like to know, if you are not already aware of it, that the book "The Battle of Loos" by Philip Warner has a chapter on the 15th (Scottish) Division which includes accounts of their personal experiences by three 7th RSF soldiers and covers a great many interesting details, including the attack of 25th and the capture and defense of Hill 70 on 26th where John was a casualty.

In passing my great uncle, Captain E G J Moyna was an officer with C Coy and was killed by a bullet to the head coming through the sandbags (sniper?), he is mentioned by name in the account by a J C Pringle.

Bill

• 1 year later...

THE PEOPLE'S JOURNAL: 23.10.1915

FORESTER FALLS IN ACTION

Official information has been received by Mr and Mrs Morgan, Scones of Lethendy, Perth, that their son, Corporal John Morgan, 7th Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers, has been killed in action. Deceased, who was 25 years of age, was married, and his wife is at present staying with her parents at 70 Brechin Road, Arbroath. For about five years he was employed as a forester on the Mansfield estates, and prior to enlistment he was acting as a forester at the Dean, Kilmarnock, on Lord Howard de Walden's estate. He enlisted in Kitchener's Army at the outbreak of war, and was married in June and went to France a month later. Deceased was of a cheery disposition, and well-liked by a wide circle of friends.

• 2 years later...

John Morgan was my grandmother's brother. She talked about him and he did indeed come from Scones of Lethendy where his father was farm manager I believe. I have his silver cornet as he was a musician who I believe played in band for dances at Scone palace.

Thanks, all, for the further interesting references.

Tom