Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Auchonvillers Military Cemetery

Chris Noble

Hi.

Remembering Frank Bygott, the first Leeds Pal to die on the Western Front.

Remember him the next time you visit.

Kindest regards.

Chris, Dave Stowe, Tafski, Nigel, P.B.I.

Remembering 'our lads.'

Reg, Ernest, Fred, Frederick and Jack.

Corporal Frank Bygott 15/74.

"D" Company, No. 16 Platoon, Section No. 13.

15th (Service) Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment.

'On Tuesday Mr and Mrs Bygott, of 125, Austhorpe Road, Crossgates, and formerly of Scholes, received official intermation that their elder son, Corporal Frank Bygott, aged 21, who was serving with the 15th West Yorks., (Leeds Pals) in France, had been killed in action. The gallant young soldier who joined the Leeds "Pals" on the formation of the battalion, was brought up by an uncle and aunt at Bournemouth, but he had lived at his father's home during the last few years. He had just finished his education at Lancing College, Sussex, and when the country's call came he was one of the first to go. Corporal Frank Bygott is, we believe, the first Crossgates man to make the supreme sacrifice, and he was an excellent soldier, as the officers under whom he served testify.

Lieut. J.S. Pope-Smith wrote to Mr Bygott as follows:- I am deeply grieved to have to inform you of the death of your son at 3.15 a.m. on the 30th March. He was killed in action and died within a few seconds of receiving wounds from machine gun fire. Corporal F. Bygott was one of my best non-commissioned officers, and even you cannot be more grieved than i am. I hope you will accept my deepest sympathy in your great bereavement.

The Rev. C.R. Chappell, chaplain to the 15th West Yorks., in a letter to Mr Bygott says:- His loss is deeply felt amongst his comrades in D Co., who knew him to be a straight-forward manly man. I buried him near the trenches - the exact spot I can let you know later. The little ceremony was simple and awe inspiring, and we were all much touched. We left him there in God's keeping, and our hearts went out to you who mourn.

Lieut.-Col. Stuart C. Taylor of the 15th W Yorks., writes to Mrs Bygott:- I am writing to offer you our heartfelt sympathy on the death of your dear son. He was as good a lad as ever stepped, and a real favourite with all ranks in the battalion, and a great loss to us as a soldier. He did his duty well and set a splendid example. He was killed by a shot from a machine gun and died almost immediately. He was in the front line trenches at the time on duty with his platoon. Please accept my personal sympathy. I feel very deeply for you all and mourn his loss very deeply myself.

Corporal Bygott, a captain of D Co. states, is buried at a little village cemetery about two miles behind the firing line. A stone has been put on the grave and an inscription carved on it. The captain offers his "most sincere sympathy in losing your son, who was a soldier and a man, who died for his King and his country."

Mr and Mrs Bygott's younger son, George, who is serving at the Front with the R.F.A., came home on a week's leave on Monday. He had no knowledge of his brother's death, and did not get the sad news until he got home.'

Chris,

thank you for sharing this with us. I will visit in person on my next trip.

RIP & Thank you for the freedom that I enjoy.

Regards,

Scottie.

Chris

None are Forgotten, all are remembered.

Ca Ira

Regards as always Kevin

Remembering Frank Bygott, the first Leeds Pal to die on the Western Front.

Remember him the next time you visit.

I expect to be at Avril's around lunch time Tue 4th November. I'll break away to visit.

Chris

A Wakefield lad

I Photographed Franks Name on The Lancing College War Memorial,last Friday 24.10.2008

post-7805-1224958510.jpg

Hi Chris,

Might I urge caution with the given address?

Kelly's Leeds Directory 1916 gives the address as 128 Austhorpe Road, although it spells the occupier's name as James Biggott.

Frank's dad James' papers are on Ancestry and they too give the address as 128. In 1916 the odd numbers extended only as far as the high 60s.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...
I expect to be at Avril's around lunch time Tue 4th November.

Late getting to Avril's. Next time, maybe.

Chris

• 4 years later...

Fair bit of info on my site. We (Barton upon Humber Living Memorial Trust) are campaigning to add his name to the Barton War cenotaph. RIP Frank.