The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

John Thomas Bee, Sgt,16th Battalion Northumberland Fusilliers

TTHG

I am researching the soldiers listed on the war memorial in Thorpe Thewles, Co. Durham.

Sergeant John Thomas Herbert Bee, of the 16th Battalion Northumberland Fusilliers, regimental number 17/1163, enlisted in York and died on 21st June 1916, aged 24. He is buried at Faubourg d'Amiens Cemetery, Arras. Are there any military hospital records that would help me here? What were the common causes of death at this time apart from the obvious military hazards?

Thank you for any help!

Thorpe Thewles History Group

I have a copy of the 16th Bn history at home. I'll have a look in that when I get back to see

if I can find anything from your date.

I guess from his prefix (17) he was originally a 17th Bn (North Eastern Railway Pioneers) but I'm sure

there are other members who can tell you more about this.

Jonathan

I have a copy of the 16th Bn history at home. I'll have a look in that when I get back to see

if I can find anything from your date.

I guess from his prefix (17) he was originally a 17th Bn (North Eastern Railway Pioneers) but I'm sure

there are other members who can tell you more about this.

Jonathan

[/quote

He certainly could have been a member of the North eastern Railway Pioneers, as his family lived at Carlton Station. He his one of two lads from the village named on the War Memorial who lived in the same row of railway cottages. Thanks for your help!!

He features in the publication "St Paul's Cathedral Service in Memory of Railwaymen - In Memory of the Railwaymen of Great Britain and Ireland who have died in the Service of their Country during the War, 1914-1918"

North Eastern Railway

Bee, J. T. H. Gangman

Also on "Roll of Honour - N.E.R. Men who laid down their lives for King and Country 1914-1918"

BEE, J. T. H., Gangman, Norton-on-Tees, Sergt, Nrthd. Fus.

Regards

Pam

Thank you very much for this - it will be used as part of an exhibition to be held on 8th November, "Thorpe Thewles in the twentieth century", which aims to raise awareness of the need for a more adequate war memorial in the village.

Sarah

He features in the publication "St Paul's Cathedral Service in Memory of Railwaymen - In Memory of the Railwaymen of Great Britain and Ireland who have died in the Service of their Country during the War, 1914-1918"

North Eastern Railway

Bee, J. T. H. Gangman

Also on "Roll of Honour - N.E.R. Men who laid down their lives for King and Country 1914-1918"

BEE, J. T. H., Gangman, Norton-on-Tees, Sergt, Nrthd. Fus.

Regards

Pam