Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish tunic

emmanuel bril

just brought scottish grouping , and i never seen this type of blue tunic ( what is this ? and when this tunic are used ? ), and also one detail of the ribbons bars both at right what' is this ?

the glengarry cap is good and untouched and he look's like officer badge or private, if somebody is specialize to the scottish army ..thank you before

cheers

toplexil

post-10422-1224842410.jpg

post-10422-1224842617.jpg

Toplexi,

I'll let the real experts decipher this but a couple of thoughts.

Could you attach a separate photo of the cap badge so we can confirm regiment.

I may be wrong but the last ribbon looks very much like a Police Exemplary Service Medal.

George

It's a nice and I would say rare, 'blue doublet', being the Scottish equivalent of 'blue patrols' as used by other elements of of the Army. Other regiments wore a blue jacket with normal skirt, but in this version you see the traditional cut-away skirt, which would help display the sporran. I believe 'blues' were improved over the years and this could be a pattern seen around 1937 if my memory is correct hence the lining. Later patterns for other regiments would display coloured piping on the shoulder straps.

Later Scottish units would adopt a No.1 dress doublet in a dark bottle green to replace both scarlet and blue worn previously.

Hopefully Frogsmile or Grumpy will confirm or deny my observations.

Seaforths badge I think

Neil

Toplexil,

Its a Blue Patrol jacket. Sometimes worn by Highland Regiments for walking out. It was not a full dress jacket. The HLI variant has box pleats down the back. If you have a look at Ian Robertson's thread, you can see some of the 1st Bn The Black Watch at Oudenarde Barrack in Aldershot wearing the jacket with Black Watch tartan trews:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...p;hl=tom+wilkie

Up till recently, they were still worn (duty Sgts, Friday Dress, etc.). I think the HLI pattern may be the one adopted by the new regiment (Royal Regiment of Scotland).

Aye

Tom McC

Toplexil,

Its a Blue Patrol jacket. Sometimes worn by Highland Regiments for walking out. It was not a full dress jacket. The HLI variant has box pleats down the back. If you have a look at Ian Robertson's thread, you can see some of the 1st Bn The Black Watch at Oudenarde Barrack in Aldershot wearing the jacket with Black Watch tartan trews:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...p;hl=tom+wilkie

Up till recently, they were still worn (duty Sgts, Friday Dress, etc.). I think the HLI pattern may be the one adopted by the new regiment (Royal Regiment of Scotland).

Aye

Tom McC

Correct Tom

The Police LSGC medal was instituted in June 1951.

Mick

Seaforth's definitely

Correct Tom

The HLI pattern has indeed been adopted by the Royal Regt of Scotland. The uniform of which this jacket/tunic is part is known to other, non-Scottish regts as No 1 Dress Blues, or Blue Patrols. It is a style of uniform with a quite long history and details can be found in the Search facility if you are interested in finding out more.

The HLI pattern has indeed been adopted by the Royal Regt of Scotland. The uniform of which this jacket/tunic is part is known to other, non-Scottish regts as No 1 Dress Blues, or Blue Patrols. It is a style of uniform with a quite long history and details can be found in the Search facility if you are interessted in finding out more.

Bob,

On a closer look would you reckon this is the pattern worn in the 1930's? I have the later 1950's pattern with coloured piping on the shoulder strap and although described as No.1 Dress or 'Coronation' blues the colour is almost black to naked eye. I have a distinct feeling that this jacket is the much earlier 30's pattern of 'blues', due to the fact it has a lining, which is rare in earlier patterns of jacket worn at the turn of the century.

Plus I think the skirt pockets on the 50's pattern are squared off and not scalloped as in this case.

Bob,

On a closer look would you reckon this is the pattern worn in the 1930's? I have the later 1950's pattern with coloured piping on the shoulder strap and although described as No.1 Dress or 'Coronation' blues the colour is almost black to naked eye. I have a distinct feeling that this jacket is the much earlier 30's pattern of 'blues', due to the fact it has a lining, which is rare in earlier patterns of jacket worn at the turn of the century.

Plus I think the skirt pockets on the 50's pattern are squared off and not scalloped as in this case.

Hi Graham, good to see you post. Yes I think it is the pattern issued for George VI Coronation. The key ID factors are as you describe. Also to start with I believe collar badges were not always worn and it was common for the self fabric belt to be used when off parade.

Colour sergeant instructor in musketry ...... only one in a Home service battalion. I concur about basic remarks on Jacket, except that I have always been dubious about term 'blue patrols' as applied to non-officer clothing. I have never seen an official reference as such to the name.

Perhaps the left [as worn] ribbon was a coronation or jubilee one .... they all look a bit similar. And is not the ribbon next to it the 1939 45 Defence medal?

Colour sergeant instructor in musketry ...... only one in a Home service battalion. I concur about basic remarks on Jacket, except that I have always been dubious about term 'blue patrols' as applied to non-officer clothing. I have never seen an official reference as such to the name.

Perhaps the left [as worn] ribbon was a coronation or jubilee one .... they all look a bit similar. And is not the ribbon next to it the 1939 45 Defence medal?

I agree that Blue Patrols refers more accurately to officers' uniform and was originally a different style of dress altogether. Unfortunately it has been picked up as a kind of Lingua Franca within the Army, particularly within Scottish Regts. More properly it is simply No 1 Dress, although that term too has only existed since approx the 1960s when Nos 1 to No 10 dress were introduced to try and bring some 'order' to the disparate range of uniforms then in existence.

Thank you. Does 1 to 10 include all hot weather clothing, or did that go on and on?

From memory there are 2 specifically hot weather parade uniforms ('Whites' or No 3 Dress) and a Stone coloured (as opposed to Khaki) parade uniform, the number of which I forget (No 7 or No 8 maybe but, I am not positive). No 10 is Mess Kit. There was also combat dress which has/had various types as a sub-title, e.g. 'temperate', but the number did not change.

Toplexil,

Is the jacket cotton? If it is, it is probably an overseas Blue Patrol jacket with a silk lining...either that, or the worsted wool has worn pretty thin.

Aye

Tom McC

Grumpy,

The only reason I suggest the Police Medal.

My Father received the Medal pre-1953 Coronation(King George VI)

His order of Wearing-39/45 Defence,Queen's Coronation and Police Long Service.

George

I forgot to mention that the jacket has another feature not found on the 50's pattern and that the cuff has a pointed seam(?) woven into it, whereas the 50's cuff is plain.

When I get home I'll photo my 50's jacket and post it to illustrate the differences.

Does the jacket here have any markings or labels on the interior?

I forgot to mention that the jacket has another feature not found on the 50's pattern and that the cuff has a pointed seam(?) woven into it, whereas the 50's cuff is plain.

When I get home I'll photo my 50's jacket and post it to illustrate the differences.

Does the jacket here have any markings or labels on the interior?

From memory only I think that the pointed style of cuff was known as a Prussian Cuff and was adopted by the British Army after the Franco-Prussian War. The other style with a flap (often scalloped) and buttons ,as is still worn by the Guards, is a French Cuff.

How can you mistake that last one for a Coronation or Jubilee medal ribbon? looks nothing like a coronation or jubilee ribbon. There isn't even one similar. Its a Police LSGC. So the Jacket was worn in the 50's even if it wasn't made in the 50's.

Mick

At my age I can mistake anything for anything!

Yes, it is the same ribbon as my daughter's, for Police Exemplary Service [not just 'good conduct'], but she also has Jubilee medal and I got confused.