Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/18 London Regt - London Irish Rifles

brimacombe

Another of my Holsworthy men, lost during WWI

Rifleman FREDERICK GLOVER the army in September 1914 and posted to the London Irish Rifles. Went to France and was posted missing in the fighting around Loos on 25 September 1915. His name appears on the Loos Memorial.

Can anyone give me a synopsis of what the Btn was doing on this day?

Another of my Holsworthy men, lost during WWI

Rifleman FREDERICK GLOVER the army in September 1914 and posted to the London Irish Rifles. Went to France and was posted missing in the fighting around Loos on 25 September 1915. His name appears on the Loos Memorial.

Can anyone give me a synopsis of what the Btn was doing on this day?

On the opeing day af the battle the 18th were ordered to attack the German Second Line preceded by a discharge of chlorine gas at 5.50 a.m. Some gas remained in No Man's Land, plainly visible in the rain, and the troops were given grey flannel respirators that became intolerably hot after a few yards so they rolled them up over their caps, confusing the Germans, who thought at first that they were being attacked by Indian Troops. Some of the attackers kicked a football in front of them. At about 6.30 a.m. they crossed No Man's Land through a German barrage and attacked the enemy line with bayonets which so scared some of the Germans that they took to their heels. Close behind came the 19th and 20th Londons. The 17th reinforced the 20th Londons and they helped the 18th clear the German trench.

Next morning the 18th bombers with others from the 17th attacked a wood close to Garden City (the colliery housing estate) and after a three hour artillery bomnardment found only a few enemy prepared to put up a fight. Many had been blown to pieces by the shells.

This southern section of the battle was the most successful part of the fight and resulted in the capture of the mining village of Loos, almost entirely due to the efforts of the 47th London Division. Further north there was no appreciable advance.

Ron

Very good synopsis Ron.

The London Irish also kicked a football over the top with them as well and it was finally kicked in to the German wire. Sgt Edwards was the battalion football captain and he supplied the ball.

Worth a look at the History of the 47th Division by Alan H Maude from Naval & Military Press.