Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dorothy Petty

Messina1915

Among the WW2 names on the Harrogate memorial are four members of the ATS, and I can't find a CWGC record for one of them, Dorothy Petty (luckily the memorial gives the christian names of the women). I don't think it's a scanning error as I used Geoff's search engine to search for women called Dorothy in the ATS and none of the surnames remotely resembled Petty.

Did being in the ATS automatically qualify a woman for CWGC commemoration or did they have to die as a result of enemy action?

Any ideas guys - or do I need to wade through the Harrogate papers for WW2?

Apologies if I've missed something obvious.

Cheers,

Carole.

Thanks Terry

Cheers,

Carole.

I'd seen her Terry, but thanks.

Cheers,

Carole.

Any ideas guys - or do I need to wade through the Harrogate papers for WW2?

It would probably be easier to search the death index for a possible match, then search the newspaper to see if there are any clues, before buying the DC. Might not be so easy though if there are several and she died away from home and death is registered elsewhere. Sometime we get lucky (sometimes I think they just want to be found - spooky) WW1 is a little easier as we can often get an age from 1901, which helps to filter out deaths.

From Deaths - England & Wales 1837-1983:

PETTY Dorothy, died Knaresborough district Apr-May-Jun 1944 age 35 (Vol. 9a Page 102).

Adrian

Many thanks Adrian - very helpful.

Ties in with a birth I found on FreeBMD in the Knaresborough district (which includes Harrogate) in the April-May-Jun qtr of 1909.

Will have a look at the newspapers for April to June 1944 when I get to the library.

Cheers,

Carole.