Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Edward Mather, KIA 06/04/1918

Lost in Tilloy

Hi

Wondered if anyone had any details about this man. I can't find a medal card for him on Ancestry or the NA, therefore I assume the details of his awards are in his service records.

His entry on the 'Scottish War Memorial' suggests he may have orginally been commissioned into the North Staffordshire Regiment.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=320852

Regards

LIT

LIT

There is one service file for a MATHER E in WO339,nothing in WO374.

AIR76/339 is the relevant microfilm for a RAF service record for such a name.

Sotonmate

Thanks for that Sotonmate.

I'll add that file to my Officer's list for my next visit to the NA. I was just a little unsure as to whether or not RAF Officer's records were seperate from WO339 & WO374.

With thanks

LIT

His entry on the 'Scottish War Memorial' suggests he may have orginally been commissioned into the North Staffordshire Regiment.

I have found his entry for Flying Officer in the London Gazette. Has him on the General List, with no mention of the North Staffordshire Regiment.

Stuart

Just some background info if you dont already have it.

6.4.18 was a bad day for 43 Sqn with 5 aircraft shot down (all credited to Jasta 11) though no german pilot is noted as shooting down Lt Mather. The other 4 were casualties do have German pilots identified. Of the 5 2 were KIA (LT HS Lewis being the other, 3 POWs of whom one died of wounds. Lt Mather was flying Sopwith Camel C8281 & left on his flight at 3:15pm. The Suadron was based at Avesnes le Compte at the time.

Info from The Sky Their Battlefield - Trevor Henshaw & Squadrons of the RAF - Jim Halley

Fusilier11