Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/6th Black Watch

Wesley Wright

Brothers Private Joseph Wilson--268272 (AGE 21) + Private Thomas Wilson--268276(age 24)

---both died on same day( 1st April 1917)-buried in Mareouil Cemetry--side by side.

Their MIC records indicate two other numbers for these two brothers-7981+6507 for Joseph and 7754+6511 for Thomas. Could some kind Black Watch members help me out?

Both were sons of William and Jane Wilson from Shivey (small hamlet) near Cookstown, Co.Tyrone.

Believed that they lived in Grey St. Shettleson-Glasgow for a time.

Strangely on Cookstown Cenopath--Joseph is commerated but no mention of Thomas!!

Wesley Wright

PS--a nephew still lives in Shivey

Sorry if i have offended anyone---I am just looking for information like everone else--Many guys have provided information on Black Watch so I am surprised no one has replied.

Wesley Wright

Wesley,

I don't think you have offended anyone, it isn't really clear, to me anyway, what you are after. I have attached the SDGW print-outs for both Joseph and Thomas. From this, it can be seen that they are both from Tyrone. Somehow, it looks like Private Thomas Wilson has been left off your local memorial, and hopefully, with the correct evidence presented, there will be the will and money available to amend this.

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1224739704.jpg

Thanks for replies--I am asking why 3 numbers for each brother??--Are these T/A numbers???--is basically my enquiry.

Wesley Wright

Hi Wesley,

These numbers are indeed "Territorial".

The 7000 number represents the number allocated to the man, possibly at their depot or on arrival in France. (It is possible they had other numbers before that.) At some stage the men in this draft were then placed in another battalion and so issued with a new 6th Bn number - the 6000 numbers - so as not to duplicate those of their new unit (This is all pre March 1917). After March 1917 new 6 digit numbers were allocated. These were issued sequentially. The table below (taken from Ancestry) suggest that the men were all part of one draft. Only Joseph's 7000 number is out of sequence. Interestingly all the men here have surnames starting with W. I checked back at random and found the names for the numbers are all roughly alphabetically - so it was a large draft. Number 6470 268135 (Pennington) arrived in France 2/1/1917 which might be a guide to when the draft came over. It would be necessary to check the medal rolls to see what the original battalion was. If the 7000 numbers were the men's original numbers, the fact that Number 7749 enlisted in May 1915 might be a guide to dates for the others.

7743 6501 268266

7745 6502 268267

7747 6506 268271

7981 6507 268272

7749 6508 268273 (Enlisted 21/5/1915)

7750 6509 268274

7752 6510 268275

7754 6511 268276

7755 6512 268277

Carolyn

• 1 month later...

Hello Wesley, Thanks for the info. There is a certain amount of interest on www.forwardthefortytwa.com (a foum for BW lads) regarding the 6th Bn in WW1 and the part the Irish lads played in the Battalions history.

By the way, I had two relatives who were in the 6th.One was a Perthshire lad and the other from Aberdeenshire.

• 10 months later...
Guest mike j byrne

Hi, I'm totally new to this whole thing so I hope you will be patient! Joseph Wilson 268272 and his brother Thomas 268276 were, I have good reasons to believe, my mother's uncles and thus my grand-uncles. I have only recently discovered the information about them on the internet, and can see that others have far more information about them than the little I have. I would be most grateful for anything that I can find out about them and the surviving members of their family. Perhaps those who know something could contact me? Thanks in anticipation.

• 1 year later...

Casualty Details

Name:WILSON, JOSEPHInitials:JNationality:United KingdomRank:PrivateRegiment/Service:Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)Unit Text:1st/6th Bn.Age:21Date of Death:01/04/1917Service No:268272Additional information:Son of William and Jane Wilson, of Shivey, Sandholes, Dungannon, Co. Tyrone.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:IV. B. 10.Cemetery:MAROEUIL BRITISH CEMETERY Home | Site Map | Contact Us | Useful Links | Debt of Honour | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Credits

Casualty Details

Name:WILSON, THOMASInitials:TNationality:United KingdomRank:PrivateRegiment/Service:Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)Unit Text:1st/6th Bn.Age:24Date of Death:01/04/1917Service No:268276Additional information:Son of William and Jane Wilson, of Shivey, Sandholes, Dungannon, Co. Tyrone.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:IV. B. 9.Cemetery:MAROEUIL BRITISH CEMETERY

Both brothers are on the CWGC are they both on the Memorial now?

Joe

Casualty Details

Name:WILSON, THOMASInitials:TNationality:United KingdomRank:PrivateRegiment/Service:Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)Unit Text:1st/6th Bn.Age:24Date of Death:01/04/1917Service No:268276Additional information:Son of William and Jane Wilson, of Shivey, Sandholes, Dungannon, Co. Tyrone.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:IV. B. 9.Cemetery:MAROEUIL BRITISH CEMETERY

Both brothers are on the CWGC are they both on the Memorial now?

Joe

Hi, I'm totally new to this whole thing so I hope you will be patient! Joseph Wilson 268272 and his brother Thomas 268276 were, I have good reasons to believe, my mother's uncles and thus my grand-uncles. I have only recently discovered the information about them on the internet, and can see that others have far more information about them than the little I have. I would be most grateful for anything that I can find out about them and the surviving members of their family. Perhaps those who know something could contact me? Thanks in anticipation.

Hello Mike

I have just recently came across this post,, I research all Black Watch from Ireland who were in the 6BW,

Joe

ex Black Watch

Brothers Private Joseph Wilson--268272 (AGE 21) + Private Thomas Wilson--268276(age 24)

---both died on same day( 1st April 1917)-buried in Mareouil Cemetry--side by side.

Their MIC records indicate two other numbers for these two brothers-7981+6507 for Joseph and 7754+6511 for Thomas. Could some kind Black Watch members help me out?

Both were sons of William and Jane Wilson from Shivey (small hamlet) near Cookstown, Co.Tyrone.

Believed that they lived in Grey St. Shettleson-Glasgow for a time.

Strangely on Cookstown Cenopath--Joseph is commerated but no mention of Thomas!!

Wesley Wright

PS--a nephew still lives in Shivey

I checked Cookstown War Memorial which is on the ulster memorial site and I can not find any of the Wilson Bros on the list of names for the War Memorial ?

Joe

• 8 years later...

There was a third brother who was in the war and was wounded in 1917 -- John Wilson but known as Jack. He had emigrated to Canada in 1911 and joined up there -- probably in The British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught's Own)

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=318590

There appears to be confusion over the actual birth date with most records giving 1883 but the military records indicate 1885. He lived at Powell River, British Colombia for many years but had no children. The family story was he married a nurse who tended to him in hospital but I am not certain of this.

https://www.memorybc.ca/wilson-jack

John Wilson known as Jack his birth date is different in the Canadian records to that listed in other records

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=318590

The post is wrong to say there is no record of the family in the Irish Census of 1901 and 1911 as the children appear to have been split with 3 children staying at Shivey, Sandholes, Co Tyrone with an aunt and uncle Robert Wilson and Letitia Wilson. 

Jack emigrated to Canada in 1911.

It is suggested Robert Wilson moved to Scotland and was conscripted there, presumably 1916, and chose to join the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers --- but no records have been found but he may have had other names. There is also a suggestion he was released after the death and two brothers in April 1917 and the wounding of John (Jack) c 26th October 1917.

Wilson John Shivey The Sandholes Tyrone 18 M Co Tyrone Farmers Son Episcopalian Read and write   Nephew Not Married        
Wilson Robert Shivey The Sandholes Tyrone 15 M Co Tyrone Farmers Son Episcopalian Read   Nephew Not Married        
Wilson Samuel Shivey The Sandholes Tyrone 7 M Co Tyrone Scholar Episcopalian Read   Nephew Not Married        

• 11 months later...