Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4th Bn DCLI

ddycher

All

Can anyone give me a definitive date, with supporting ref's, on when the 1/4th DCLI joined the 232nd Bde / 75th Division. I have conflicting dates from April through June 1917.

Regards

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have any good suggestions on how to confirm this ? Would the Bde diaries detail Bn's coming and going ?

regards

Dave

In Wyrall's history of the DCLI Appendix F, he claims that in April 1917 the 1/4th DCLI was posted to the 234th (not the 232nd) Infantry Brigade which joined the 75th Division on its formation in June 1917

Have the joining the 232nd moving to the 233rd and then 234th as the Bde built up. Does this make any sense ?

Regards

Dave

Have the joining the 232nd moving to the 233rd and then 234th as the Bde built up. Does this make any sense ?

Regards

Dave

I can see that as being conceivable. The formation of a new division with all the army troops, new commanders, new units, new mobilisation areas for artillery, ammunition trains etc. etc. that this involved could quite easily have meant transfers to ease the excessive movements required. This is probably why you've got dates from April to June; April when Brigades started forming, and June when the Brigades and supporting troops came together as a unit, 75th Division

Makes sense - am trying to get to the bottom of 232nd Bde stff so this confuses the issue somewhat. Just need to keep trying I guess.

Thanks

Dave

• 1 year later...

All

Digging out an old post as I have recently, atlast, taken delivery of Wyral's "History of the DCLI".

I was disappointed to find that 1/4th battalions difficulties February through July were glossed over to the degree they are. Events are mis-timed and dates of joining bde's transparently incorrect in what appears to be a deliberate attempt to mask some real deficiencies in the battalion as they struggled to come back to health after their spell in Aden. I had always previously viewed Wyral as an impartial observer and this got me wondering where else in his writings there are similar omissions or down playing of the facts. He was for example always my central reference for activities of the 62nd Division.

Does anyone have similar experiences in the regimental or divisional histories or views specific to this case ?

Regards

Dave