The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help needed to ID insignia.

hadfield

Hi,

Which division, British or otherwise would sport a small red diamond on the front of a WW1 (2nd pattern, I think?) Brodie helmet?

Regards,

Brimstone.

I think you need to look up posts from ARTHUR, he has lists of such devices ,brigade badges using triangles are, 2nd manchesters according to mike chappells book on battle insignia ,also 8th Buffs , 10th Duke of wellingtons both in red. Hope that is of some help !

Hi Intrados,

Thanks for the quick reply, greatly appreciated. But in it you mention triangles not diamonds, have I missed something?

regards

Brimstone.

Yes you are right of course its DIAMONDS !! (i was trying to identify a triangle myself for ages and its stuck . )DIAMONDS is what I meant to say .I looked at the book for you earlier .

sorry for the confusion ! Trev

Hi Trev,

Thanks for putting me straight on that! I have tried to access posts by Arthur as you suggested but the forum won't let me. I would guess I don't have enough posts, so could you suggest any options?

Regards

Brimstone.

Hello,

Among others, red diamond was used by 2/6th North Stafford and 20th Northumberland

But be careful because it was used by US 5th Inf Division too.

Regards

David

Hi Trev,

Thanks for putting me straight on that! I have tried to access posts by Arthur as you suggested but the forum won't let me. I would guess I don't have enough posts, so could you suggest any options?

Regards

Brimstone.

Brimstone,

There shouldn't be a problem gaining access to Arthur's Thread.

Try this link http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...?showtopic=3964

Regards

Chris

Hi,

Which division, British or otherwise would sport a small red diamond on the front of a WW1 (2nd pattern, I think?) Brodie helmet?

Regards,

Brimstone.

Hi,

I have information on the following British units that wore a red diamond. The smallest diamond that I have information on was worn by 'Bombers of the 2nd King's Royal Rifle Corps and had ¾" sides.

The 62nd Trench Mortar Bty wore a crimson diamond with 1" sides and the 1st & 2nd Bns Essex Regt both are recorded as wearing diamonds with 1½" sides.

The following Infantry Bdes wore a red diamond but no size is given: 14th Inf,Bde, 95th Inf,Bde, and 120th Inf,Bde,.

In no particular order, other units to wear a red diamond were:

2nd/6th N. Staffs Regt.

29th Bde R.A.

1st Dorset Regt

120th M/G Coy

13th London Regt

10th Duke of Wellington's Regt

20th N/humberland Fus

2nd/6th Lanc Fus

4th R. Scots Fus, C Coy

1st/5th R. Sussex Regt, A Coy

9th R. Warwicks Regt

2nd/4th Loyals [N. Lancs Regt]

2nd Manchester Regt

1st/22nd London Regt

I don't have informaton on 8th Buffs [E. Kent Regt] wearing a diamond but that is not to say that they didn't. However, 8th Buffs, C Coy wore a red four point star 2" between points.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Arthur

The Australian 2nd Divison 6th Brigade used a red diamond.

Mick

Hi,

Many thanks to you all, especially Arthur for your help on this one. But why was the Red Diamond so popular? It has surprised me that so many divisions used it. I know it's a long shot but the one I'm interested in has sides 8/10" long and 1" wide, any chance that this might narrow it down a little? Well anyway, do you know of any good sources of info re WW1 Brodies, such as liner types, preservation, history, etc?

Regards

Brimstone

Hi,

Many thanks to you all, especially Arthur for your help on this one. But why was the Red Diamond so popular? It has surprised me that so many divisions used it. I know it's a long shot but the one I'm interested in has sides 8/10" long and 1" wide, any chance that this might narrow it down a little? Well anyway, do you know of any good sources of info re WW1 Brodies, such as liner types, preservation, history, etc?

Regards

Brimstone

Hi

The K.R.R.C. ¾" sides was the smallest red diamond recorded in the pamphlet. Those that I entered as other units to wear the red diamond had sizes with 2" sides and over.

Sorry cannot help with the Brodies.

Regards

Arthur