Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"Sunshine" BBC 2 TV 21/10/08

ianw

There is also a Great War Memorial by the bus stop where the young lad got on the bus for the hospital

In the Salford & Stockport area it seems - but where's the pub?

I think 7th Divsion had a brigade almost entirely made up of Manchesters. I presume this pub was their watering hole post war.

Almost true, except that half the brigade was composed of the 2nd Queen's and 1st South Staffords once it had been changed around on joining the Division. [We are talking about 91st Brigade, chums]

Where is this series filmed? Which pub?

Sadly I did not see the episode, so I have no idea what the plaque looked like. But there is a Manchester Regiment pub called "The Manchester Regiment" just a mile or so outside Manchester City Centre just off the A56 (Chester Road) on Hulme Hall Road. If you follow Deansgate out of Manchester, past the Beetham Tower you come to a Large Roundabout and a Church that has been converted into Yuppie Flats. Go about 200 yards along the A56 to wards Old Trafford and the Pub is visable from the road. Although according to the UKNIWM - THE FUTURE OF THE AREA IS DESRIBED AS 'DOUBTFUL'

PUBLIC HOUSE NOW BOARDED AWAITING DEMOLITION, but does say its a plaque for M'cr Regiment VC winners. And if boarded up, it would be an Ideal location for a TV production shoot.

From what I have seen of Sunshine it is filmed around Marple, just outside Stockport. Craig Cash, who wrote it lives there. And I live up the road from Marple - although I do not know of any pubs with memorials in the area.

I do also know that in Manchester the Holts' pub the Ape and Apple has a memorial to one of the Holts who died in WWI and I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Trafford Hall Hotel, in Old Trafford (Near Lancashire Cricket Ground) has a memorial plaque.

Hope this helps !

The pub in question certainly seemed like a functioning pub and the plaque - although behind someone's head - did seem to be to the 7th Division. It is located in a bar on the wall of a seated area at about seated head height.

I have been in 'The Manchester Regiment' ( many years ago i should add) but my memory of it was a modern pub with large rooms not like the one in the show

I am a little intrigued as to where it was shot myself, and there does seem to be trench art on the window sill as well

403623693_bki5Z-L.jpg

The pub used in the series is 'The Ring of Bells' in Marple

you can actually spot the plaque on their web site

the ring of bells, marple