Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

cheshire volunteers

JulianB

I have been told about a passage in a book on the Cheshire VTC referring to the transfer of the VTC into a Vol Bn of the Cheshire Regt in 1918. My source unfortunately can't remember the details of the book but it doesn't appear to be that by Disbrowe - which I found by looking up "Cheshire volunteer" in the BL catalogue.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

i hadn't realised there were any volunteer battalions in 1918? I was under the impression that under the Haldane reforms in 1908, the volunteer battalions became the Territorial Force battalions

i hadn't realised there were any volunteer battalions in 1918? I was under the impression that under the Haldane reforms in 1908, the volunteer battalions became the Territorial Force battalions

The 1st Volunteer Battalion (Duke of Edinburgh's) Wiltshire Regt existed throughout the war and finished with 26 Officers and 820 OR's. It boasted having sent 572 partly-trained men to the Regular Forces!

The 1st Volunteer Battalion (Duke of Edinburgh's) Wiltshire Regt existed throughout the war and finished with 26 Officers and 820 OR's. It boasted having sent 572 partly-trained men to the Regular Forces!

how interesting! i can't find anything about them on Long long trail though and the Wardrobe just says :-

"In 1908, further army reforms saw the long delayed change of title from Volunteers to Territorials being introduced, when both the Royal Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiments saw their new 4th Battalions at last assuming their rightful place. Henceforth the Territorials uniforms became identical in almost every respect to that of the regulars."

i'm intrigued!

All units serving as part of the Volunteer Force in July 1918 were officially affiliated and renamed 'Volunteer Battalions' to their local County Regiments. The same applied to those Volunteers affiliated to Regular Corps. The General Service cap badge for all ranks was removed from their dress and replaced by regular pattern cap badges. Shoulder titles remained 'county' and for the most part woven in white worsted cotton into the shoulder strap with the addition of a white 'V' above. Officers too continued to wear a small bronze 'V' with their collar badges.

For additional reading see Army Orders 1918, Army Council Instructions 1918, Volunteer Force Instructions 1918, The Volunteer List 1918, The Volunteer Gazette 1918.

post-7376-1224592990.jpg

H.Q., 'A' Coy,3rd Volunteer Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers 1918 complete with Hotchkiss MG.

Julian,

I think this is the book:

The Chester Volunteers with special reference to "A" Company 3rd Volunteer Battalion The Cheshire Regiment (1914-1920)

Simpson, Frank:

Bookseller: WORLD WAR BOOKS

(Tunbridge Wells, Kent, , United Kingdom)

Bookseller Rating:

Price: £ 63.00

[Convert Currency]

Quantity: 1 Shipping within United Kingdom:

£ 3.75

[Rates & Speeds]

Book Description: Chester. The Courant Press. 1st Edition c.1920, 1920. Detailed and well written account by one of its officers. 156pp., ills., full Roll. Very nice copy

Peter

Peter,

Thank you very much. I'd been searching Cheshire rather than Chester !

I couldn't find it in the BL catalogue but it is in the IWM one, so I'll go and look at it there

(cheaper than £63 ! but thanks for the thought !)

Julian