Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bury Grammar School on Tour Again

Mark Hone

Bury Grammar School will be making its 15th annual battlefields tour next weekend, 24th-26th October. Our rough itinerary is as follows:

Friday afternoon-Vimy Ridge

Saturday-The Kaiser's Battle: Manchester Hill, Peronne, Villers Bretonneux, Cachy, Australian National Memorial, Pozieres Memorial

Sunday-Forgotten Victory: Riqueval, Bellicourt, Bony, Busigny, St Souplet, Le Cateau, Ors, Pommereuil.

As always we will be commemorating some of the 97 pupils of the school who died in the Great War (including Lt. Joseph Morris, 2nd Salford Pals, the last old boy to die in action) as well as two great-great uncles of boys on the tour and my Old Contemptible great uncle Jack Hone who was killed in October 1918. We shall also be laying wreaths on behalf of a Grammar School in Adelaide and the family of a doughboy from North Carolina. The party includes a large number of multi-tour veterans, including one boy on his sixth tour. Anyone who sees us, don't hesitate to say hello. We are friendly!

Mark, you are a credit to your profession.

As always, I am sure your party will set a fine example, and be grateful for your dedication.

Best regards

Kim

I note you guys are going to Busigny (Communal Ext ?) - a number of my GF's pals are there having perished in a rather rash cavalry charge on 8/10/18 - when the forgotten victory was already assured. Could you place a poppy or cross on the grave of his particular oppo Sjt Copeland 19th Hussars (II B 40). There are a number of 19th Hussars here inc a couple of officers. A sad empirical test of the horseflesh versus machine gun argument.

My GF had left the regiment by this time for the ASC - otherwise I suspect I would not be posting this due to not existing! GF was Colonel's trumpeter and Colonel Franks was killed as well.

Thanks for the comments. Ian-will do. I should also mention that at Pommereuil, when we read the full school roll of honour, we shall also be commemorating my former pupil Sean Foxcroft. Sean and his elder brother Heath were both school battlefield tour veterans. As I posted at the time Sean, aged 24, died rescuing members of his World Challenge youth expedition from the sea in South Africa this summer.

Thanks Mark. Those 19th Hussars will welcome the visit on a pretty quiet part of the battlefields.

What a sad tale of young Sean. But no better place to remember him that in the midst of other school members who also made the ultimate sacrifice often for and with friends.

I hope the trip goes well.

Mark, you are a credit to your profession.

As always, I am sure your party will set a fine example, and be grateful for your dedication.

Best regards

Kim

Seconded! You are opening eyes and minds.

Well done Mark, enjoy your tour.

John

Safe travel. This is a marvellous experience you give them, something they will remember, and for some the start of a lifetime passion :)

Cheers

Shirley

We had a great time, and the weather was kind. Here we are at Manchester Hill, close to the site of Wilfrith Elstob's battle HQ. A wreath laid by the 'Khaki Chums' in July can be seen in the background:

post-120-1225204752.jpg

Another unusual port of call for a school battlefields tour. The entrance to the infamous St Quentin canal tunnel just north of Riqueval Bridge.

post-120-1225204962.jpg

We laid a wreath in memory of Private Paul Hogsed from Hayesville, North Carolina in the memorial chapel at the American Somme Cemetery, Bony. Our cadet buglers played 'Taps' which they learned especially for the visit:

post-120-1225205201.jpg

Busigny proved a little difficult to find as I didn't have an exact grid reference for the cemetery but a bit of educated guesswork and one CWGC green sign got us there. Here is your photo, Ian.

post-120-1225205862.jpg

Mark.

I am always very impressed with the work you do on these trips and I am sure they are a highlight of the school year for many of the attendees. But then passing on the torch (so to speak) is surely what teaching is all about.

Best wishes.

Neil

Thank you for your kind comments. Here are pictures of our visit to the Australian National Memorial at Villers Bretonneux, where we laid a wreath on behalf of Pulteney Grammar School in Adelaide, six of whose former pupils are commemorated there:

post-120-1225372985.jpg

post-120-1225373011.jpg

Thanks, Mark, for the pictures, and I am glad the trip went so well.

I have bumped into you in the past when on tour, including when a new plaque was unveiled in St. George's Church in Ypres. There, in the cemeteries, and at the Menin Gate your pupils were a credit to you, their school, and more importantly, to themselves.

Bruce

Hi Mark,

You may recall we met & stayed at the same cheapie Hotel in Amiens in July '06..?

Glad to hear you had another successful tour.

I was very moved when I visited the American cemetery at Bony a few years back, it was so different to other WW1 cemeteries.

What was your impression of the place, how did the lads react..??

All the best,

Rob.

Ted-for reasons too complex to go into, we actually had lunch on the Sunday in Cambrai, rather than Le Cateau, as I originally intended. We drove through Le Cat later on and it looked even nicer than I remembered. I must stop there again the next time I'm in the vicinity. Thanks for your help and kind comments.

Rob-of course I remember meeting you and your son on the Somme in 2006. The 'Summer Somme' tour, with the BB hotel at Amiens and evenings at the local Buffalo Grill is still spoken of with great fondness by the boys who went on it, most of them now at university. (However, the standard bearer at Bony was there and is set to become our first 7 tour veteran if he comes along in 2009). I find American cemeteries very moving, more 'perfect' than CWGC (and some people don't like that) but extremely impressive. We received a most warm welcome from Craig Rahanian, the US Superintendent at Bony.

Here is the whole group at Riqueval Bridge. Sadly, greater tree cover than 1918 (and 'elf and safety' considerations) prevented us from recreating the famous picture of 137 Brigade gathered on the canal bank!

post-120-1225444366.jpg

• 9 years later...

Our 2018 25th annual battlefields tour will revisit some of the sites from 2008, including Riqueval Bridge and Bony American cemetery. The Cadet RSM on the 2008 tour was present as part of the Regular Army contingent at the 100th anniversary commemoration at Manchester Hill on 21st March this year. One of the pupils from 2008 will be returning as a teacher ten years later, the first person to clock up Bury Grammar School battlefields tours both as a student and a member of staff.