The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

BBC4 Telly Tuesday night

Norrette

The BBC website says there haven't been any previous broadcasts of this series, so could it be a new one to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the armistice do you think? I haven't seen any trailers for it, if so!

Thanks for the tip npm :)

Seem to be just 2 programmes in the series. Tuesday's on the origins of the war (Explosion) and one on Thursday about the war becoming static (Stalemate). Seems a rather strange short series?? :unsure:

Jim

Seem to be just 2 programmes in the series. Tuesday's on the origins of the war (Explosion) and one on Thursday about the war becoming static (Stalemate). Seems a rather strange short series?? :unsure:

Jim

It does indeed. Actually I'm rather disappointed at the lack of fuss being made (in televisual terms) about this anniversary. A repeat of the BBC's Great War series would be good at the very least.

Is this not episodes 1 and 2 of 1914-1918, looking at bbc4 listings page would seem to imply that it is. Why they are saying that it hasn't been shown before I don't know. But to answer the original question, if it is the program narrated by Dame Judi Dench then I think it is worth both watching and recording.

Ken

It does indeed. Actually I'm rather disappointed at the lack of fuss being made (in televisual terms) about this anniversary. A repeat of the BBC's Great War series would be good at the very least.

Not so.....follow the link.....http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/09_september/15/remembrance.shtml

The BBC is making some efforts this year for the 90th anniversary.

also this link.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/remembrance/...rogrammes.shtml

regards

Tom

The BBC seem to be doing quite a bit to mark the 90th anniversary. Some of the programmes look quite interesting, in particular the documentary about the Armistice. Details can be found here:

Regards,

AGWR

Beat me to it, Tom!

By the click of a mouse!!

anyway I see the first link I gave should be just a mouse click, I'll try again

I hope thats better

regards

Tom

I take it all back - some great looking programmes there, thanks for the link. I'm still surprised that I haven't seen any trailers yet though!

Seem to be just 2 programmes in the series.

I think they are showing 7 altogether, and it's confirmed as a repeat.

(Thanks for the links chaps)

There will be a radio 3 production of All Quiet on the WF which I think is a must.....

Norrette

There's a bit in the Telegraph today about Kirsty Wark who is in one of the programmes. She cannot read the letter sent by a relative just before he went over on the Somme without choking up and the filming has to stop.

Yes, some good stuff here. The Britten War Requiem on Sunday 9th will get a listen.

Well done to Kirsty for letting her professional standards slip on the Somme.

Will anyone be at the IWM special day on Saturday 8th November?

I love the BBC sometimes. The site now goes to giving 3 programmes with the third slated as 'the last in the series' which is what it said after the 2nd a few days ago!! :huh: I can't find where it says 7 altogether but give it a few days and we may have 4 and then 5 and .........

Jim

Forget the website, Jim. Radio Times makes it clear it's the full 7. Haven't yet seen next week's issue - but presume parts 3 and 4 will be on Tue and Thurs.

Jim