Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Walter Matthews 3/4th Queens

OpsMajor

My first post - be gentle! For a Remembrance Service I am researching the 2 chaps from our village who were killed in the Graet War.

T/205424 Pte Walter Matthews 3rd/4th Battalion Queens was KIA on 04Oct17 and remembered at Tyne Cot. I have found him on the CWGC and MIC sites but would appreciate any further details, e.g. when did he enlist/was conscripted; why was a Northampton boy in the Queen's, what he was doing when he was KIA, where (Battle of Broodseinde?), who with, etc.

Many thanks.

Soldiers Died Great War records:

Name: Walter Matthews

Number: T/205424

Regiment etc: Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment)

Battalion etc: 3/4th Battalion

Born: Quinton, Northants

Enlisted: Northampton

Residence: Quinton, Northants

Died Date: 04 Oct 1917

Died how: Killed in action

Theatre: France & Flanders

Doug

• 8 years later...

Evening All

As this will be the 100th anniversary of Walter's death I'm doing a little bit more research.

Can anyone help me with when he joined: can you tell from his number whether he was conscripted: why to the Queen's, etc?

Thanks

Hi,

I did a bit of quick near number sampling, and it appears that the Regiment operated some parallel number sequences. However, I did see that 205420 Dunkley and 205421 French both enlisted and were sent to the Army Reserve. They were both subsequently mobilised on 5th February 1917, posted to the 4th Queen's on 7th February, and then to the 3/4th Queen's on 8th February 1917.

Further sampling may help to clarify.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk