Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt S. Tinne, RFC, d. Jan 1918

daggers

Can anyone please provide information about the death of Stuart Tinne, ex Queen's Regiment, d. 1/3/18, buried at Wrecclesham?

Many thanks in advance

Daggers

Daggers

Airmen Died says that Capt Stuart Christian Tinne, of No 1 (Auxiliary) School of Aerial Gunnery RFC (formerly 1st Bn, Royal West Kent Regiment), was killed in an accident on 1 March 1918. My guess is that the accident was on the ground, as no aeroplane is mentioned.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

Gareth

As always, just the information I needed. Burial seems to have been on his home turf, so what you say fits in. Thanks again. (Sorry for delay in replying but I went out and just got back!)

Daggers

• 3 years later...

This thread came u when I did a Google search for Stuart Christian tinne. I can add the following:

"Captain STUARTCHRISTIAN TINNE, R.W. Kent Regimentand R.F.C., who has died suddenly of heart failure at Hythe, was the son of thelate Theodore Tinne"

Source: www.flightglobal.com

Andrewr

• 3 years later...

A contemporary newspaper article records that he was found dead on the floor of his bedroom at the Hotel Imperial, with an elastic band around his neck.

I don't know how you do it IPT !

Tell us more.

BillyH.

The details of the enquiry were recorded in the Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald of 9th March 1918.

Daggers - Let me know if you are still researching him, and i'll send you the details.

Thanks for the offer, but sadly the person for whom I was seeking information is no longer with us. In view of the unhappy circumstances, perhaps it is as well.

D

• 4 months later...

From Sapper95

Am an absolute newbie to working on this or anyforum.

Captain Stauart Christian Tinne was my mother-in-law's brother; although he died long before she married.

In the family he is known as Chritsian and mmy brother-in-law also has and uses that name.

While at Hythe in RFC he was involved in the development of something he called "Vanishing Target", although we don't know what this was.

When his deat was announced, the War Office declared it to be suicide, which caused the family much grief.

However, he was given a full military funeral at Wrecclesham and troops marched there from Aldershot to take part.

His death certificate gives the cause of death as "accidental. A rubber having been placed around his neck"

We understand that this was the work of a German agent.

I have:

his observer's log book

a certified copy of his death certificate

a cutting from the local newspaper reporting his funeral

Two sepia photos of him; a studio portrait in service dress and a happy snap of him mdressed in a greatcoat.

It so happens that yesterday, my niece's husband visited and showed how he was correlating details of aircraft in which Tinne flew.

He was delighted to see the log book.

If anyone wants more info, I'll do what I can

Wow - so you might have a real 'John le Carre' story in your family that nobody has investigated!

Would Hythe records (even on secret projects) now be available at Kew, or anywhere else?

Thanks for this very exciting update - certainly changes the perception of Christian's unfortunate demise...

James

Yes, a gripping story, but as I said in an earlier post the person responsible for my interest has died.

S.C. Tinne was related to a family once of local importance here.

D

From Flight 7 March 1918, page 264:

Captain STUART CHRISTIAN TINNE, R.W. Kent Regiment and R.F.C., who has died suddenly of heart failure at Hythe, was the son of the late Theodore Tinne and Mrs. Tinne, The Chine, Wrecclesham, Farnham.

and from page 269:

Fatal Mishap to Flying Officer.

"ACCIDENTALLY suffocated" was the verdict at the inquest on March 2nd on Captain S. C. Tinne, M.C., R.F.C., who was found dead in a hotel at Hythe with an elastic band round his neck. It was suggested that Captain Tinne, who was fond of theatricals, in rehearsing a part placed the band round his neck, that it then contracted and choked Captain Tinne before he could reach the door.

then from Flight 14 March 1918

Captain STUART CHRISTIAN TINNE, Royal West Kent Regiment and R.F.C., son of the late Theodore F. S. Tinne and Mrs. Tinne, of The Chine, Wrecclesham, Farnham, whose death was mentioned last week, was born in 1895, and educated at Mr. Churchill's, Broadstairs, and Wellington College. He entered Sandhurst in February, 1913, received a commission in the Royal West Kent Regiment in August, 1914, and went to the Front in the following month, but was wounded and incapacitated at the end of that year. After long hospital treatment, and being disabled for the infantry, he joined the R.F.C. in March, 1916,.and went to the Front in the following October. He was promoted Captain in the Royal West Kent Regiment in March, 1917, and remained seconded to the R.F.C. In April of last year he was attached to the photography section, and was engaged on this work up to the time of his death.

Graeme

• 4 years later...
On 19/02/2016 at 10:35, Guest Sapper95 said:

From Sapper95

Am an absolute newbie to working on this or anyforum.

Captain Stauart Christian Tinne was my mother-in-law's brother; although he died long before she married.

In the family he is known as Chritsian and mmy brother-in-law also has and uses that name.

While at Hythe in RFC he was involved in the development of something he called "Vanishing Target", although we don't know what this was.

When his deat was announced, the War Office declared it to be suicide, which caused the family much grief.

However, he was given a full military funeral at Wrecclesham and troops marched there from Aldershot to take part.

His death certificate gives the cause of death as "accidental. A rubber having been placed around his neck"

We understand that this was the work of a German agent.

I have:

his observer's log book

a certified copy of his death certificate

a cutting from the local newspaper reporting his funeral

Two sepia photos of him; a studio portrait in service dress and a happy snap of him mdressed in a greatcoat.

It so happens that yesterday, my niece's husband visited and showed how he was correlating details of aircraft in which Tinne flew.

He was delighted to see the log book.

If anyone wants more info, I'll do what I can

Grateful if you could make contact with me please? I may have another part to your story.