Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

WEST YORKSHIRE REGIMENT/CAMERON HIGHLANDERS

My wife's Grandfather appears to have joined the West Yorkshire Regiment (Battalion Unknown) underage - he was born 1900 (Wath, South Yorkshire) Regimental No. 270185

I am confused as his MIC indicates he later served with Cameron Highlanders Regimental Number 33773

Could he have been wounded and reallocated to the Scottish Regiment on recovery? There is a rumour in the family he was taken prisoner?

He survived the Great War and continued his work in the Pits of South Yorkshire.

Grateful for any guidance where to search (NA Records have drawn a blank on his Service Documents apart from MIC)

He only qualified for the Victory and BWM so I assume he didn't go overseas until after 1915. Do the service numbers indicate service with any particular Battalion?

Thanks

Barry

Barry

Number 270185 was issued to the 6th Battalion West Yorkshire Regt,according to the 1917 re-numbering in the Long Long Trail. Which 6th I can't answer,there was a 1/6 and a 2/6 ! 2/6 went to France in 1917 with 62 Division,which might fit in with his age and trained state.

If we theorise from here,say he gets wounded or sick,and goes away from the Battalion to recover. He comes back to such as an Infantry Base Depot (say at Etaples) awaiting re-posting,and,at that time could have been allocated to whichever Battalion needed reinforcing,in this case it couild have been the Camerons.

Sotonmate

If he was in the 2/6th Battalion of The West Yorkshire Regiment [ at this stage we will say he was, as the odds are stacked in this direction ], he may very well have been posted to the Cameron Highlanders when the 2/6th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment was disbanded in Jan 1918.

If you can get hold of the Medal Rolls for Walter, this will tell you the Battalion's he was with.

Regards as always Kevin

If he was in the 2/6th Battalion of The West Yorkshire Regiment [ at this stage we will say he was, as the odds are stacked in this direction ], he may very well have been posted to the Cameron Highlanders when the 2/6th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment was disbanded in Jan 1918.

If you can get hold of the Medal Rolls for Walter, this will tell you the Battalion's he was with.

Regards as always Kevin

Kevin thank you very much for your assistance, I can now research some of the details regarding 1/6 or 2/6 actions during the war.

Please excuse my ignorance....are the Medal Rolls the same as the NA Medal Index Cards?

thanks again

Barry

Barry

Number 270185 was issued to the 6th Battalion West Yorkshire Regt,according to the 1917 re-numbering in the Long Long Trail. Which 6th I can't answer,there was a 1/6 and a 2/6 ! 2/6 went to France in 1917 with 62 Division,which might fit in with his age and trained state.

If we theorise from here,say he gets wounded or sick,and goes away from the Battalion to recover. He comes back to such as an Infantry Base Depot (say at Etaples) awaiting re-posting,and,at that time could have been allocated to whichever Battalion needed reinforcing,in this case it couild have been the Camerons.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate,

Many thanks for your detailed reply. It gives me a great start to my amateur research.

Regards

Barry

Barry

The Medal Index Card [ MIC ], gives you the Book/page ect for the Medal Roll, where your man's details, ie Battalion's served oversea's with.

Regards Kevin

Barry

The Medal Index Card [ MIC ], gives you the Book/page ect for the Medal Roll, where your man's details, ie Battalion's served oversea's with.

Regards Kevin

Kevin

'

Thanks for your guidance and assistance.....it will be a long time before I rise from the rank of 'Pte' to 'Lieut Col'...but I hope to learn a lot en-route from the established veterans on this excellent forum such as yourself and the 'Old Sweats'

kind regards

Barry