Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tower Hill Memorial

alfie

I am looking for an accesible list of the trawlers and crews on the Tower Hill Memorial (or others), particularly those from SN (North Shields) registered boats.

Has anyone any ideas, thanks.

I have a complete list of all ships on the memorial together with their ports of registry.

If you would like a copy, email me off-Forum.

You can then request a list of casualties from the appropriate ships from CWGC on casualtyenq@cwgc.org

Trawlers

SN344 Ethel Wulf, merchantile loss 1/12/18

SN76 Jason, merchantile loss 1/4/15

SN233 John High, mined 7/8/16 off Mount Sozanova, White Sea

SN152 M.A.Dodds, sunk August 1918

SN15 Princess Alice, sunk 6/3/18 in collision of Alexandria

SN202 Princess Beatrice, mined off Belgian coast 5/10/14

SN326 Princess Olga, mined 14/6/18 off Le Havre

SN58 Saxon Prince, disappeared in storm 28/3/16 off Dover

SN4 Grecian Prince, mined 15/12/18

SN111 John M Smart, sunk 12/12/17

Drifters

SN227 Ethnee, wrecked 15/1/18 on Goodwin Sands

SN184 Lottie Leask sunk 18/12/15 by s/m gunfire off Saseno Island

are the only ones with SN numbers listed sunk in Dittmar and Colledge British Warships 1914-1919

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks Terry and Malcolm, are there any other vessels (particularly fishing vessels registered in other ports) that are described as "of North Shields"

Terry,

Does your list include WW2? And if so please could you let me know what it says about SS EMPIRE TOUCAN?

Many thanks.

Best wishes,

David

Thanks Terry and Malcolm, are there any other vessels (particularly fishing vessels registered in other ports) that are described as "of North Shields"

There are several pages of trawlers/drifters with lots of registrations but only SN registrations are identifiable as North Shields.

Excuse the pun but a trawl through the lists only produced what I posted. :D

Aye

Malcolm

The thing is when I was fishing I was on a North Shields owned boat, with a North Shields crew, but a Buckie (Bck) registration. I've visited the Tower Hill memorial a few times and I thought I would recognise names of vessels. But I will work on the ones you both have provided me with.

Alfie

My list was taken from the official CWGC list of vessels. There are no others on that list from North Shields.

So, if any vessels you are looking for are not on my list, then there are no casualties from them recorded by CWGC (that does not mean that other boats were not sunk. Boats could have been lost without casualties or through causes which did not qualify any casualties for war grave status and commemoration by CWGC).

One of the men I am researching is listed on Tower Hill Memorial, Able Seaman, Fred Alfred Monk, "SS Lowmount" (Leith), died on the 07 May 1917, would any one have ant information on the SS Lowmount (what she was? What happened to her?)or any further CWGC info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

SS Lowmount (2070 tons) was sunk by a mine 07.05.17 four miles south east of the Nab Light Vessel. Five crew killed.