Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with info on Military Hospitals?

juliem

Does anyone know if there was a Military Hospital in Cork. On the front of my grandfathers service record it seems to says MHS to Mil Hosp, and then it looks like Cork? I've looked on list on Long Long Trail but can't see any reference to Cork! Any ideas or info greatly appreciated.

Jul.

Does anyone know if there was a Military Hospital in Cork. On the front of my grandfathers service record it seems to says MHS to Mil Hosp, and then it looks like Cork? I've looked on list on Long Long Trail but can't see any reference to Cork! Any ideas or info greatly appreciated.

Jul.

Yes, there was a Military Hospital in Cork. One of the Soldiers on the local War Memorial died there. Sorry I have no idea where in Cork.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

This fits in with the family story of him being injured and going to a hospital in Ireland. It's a pity there seems to be no reference on his service record as to when or why he went there!

Jul

Hello

There were a number of barracks in and around Cork, particularly at Fermoy and at Cork itself.

'The following barracks were located in the city of Cork

Victoria Barracks

Barracks for Infantry and Cavalry located on 'a commanding eminence NE of the city'. The Barracks were erected in 1806 by the late Abraham Hargrave Esq. and were later named 'Victoria Barracks', in 1922 they were renamed 'Collins Barracks'. In 1837 there was accommodation for 156 officers, 1994 men and 120 horses. The barracks included a 120 bed hospital and there was also a separate 130 bed military hospital in the southern suburbs.'

(reproduced from http://myhome.ispdr.net.au/~mgrogan/cork/barracks.htm)

Hope this helps.

David

jul

The man's medical record is normally part of his discharge papers, have you check his pension record on Ancestry?

Alan

jul

The man's medical record is normally part of his discharge papers, have you check his pension record on Ancestry?

Alan

Thanks Alan,

I have done a search and only come up with his service records on Ancestry.

Jul

Hi Jul and Tony,

Just to let you know that St Anns Hill Hydro was located near Blarney Co Cork, its in ruins now. It was built in or around 1888 its name was St Ann's Hydropathic Establishment, a turkish bath for health and had hotel and guest accommodation and as far as i know it was used during the war for recuperation of injured soldiers, it closed around 1950.

Regards,

Sean.