Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gunner Cyril A Moulsdale

annaj464

Hi - I am hoping that maybe someone would be kind enough to help me find out more about the war record of Cyril Ambrose Moulsdale.

Cyril was my great uncle and at the time of enlistment lived in Lancaster.

I have found his medal roll which says that he was a Gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery - no 92492.

Also I know nothing about the Royal Garrison Artillery, where he might be stationed etc. I know that he was born aby 1886 in Runcorn, Cheshire. Regards - Jackie

Jackie,

Another page from the Long Long Trail !

http://www.1914-1918.net/cra.htm

which gives info about the arms of the Artillery. The RGA section has 3 links to open,which tells you a bit about the organisation,but there could be a difficulty tying him down to a specific unit. I say this to make a challenge to some of the Arty experts here to give you some pointers as to how you can find out where he served ! Tracing his Medal Index Card to the original Medal Roll is often not a fruitful link to his unit. Then there is always the hope that his service record survived.

Sotonmate

It is highly probable that your great uncle started his military career at Fort Brockhurst, No. 2 Depot, at the start of June 1916, although he may have attested upto 7 months earlier before being mobilised. Unfortunately there is only "base details" on the medal rolls, so it is going to be very difficult to find out which unit he actually served with. He may have been at Fort Brockhurst for a matter weeks before being sent on to any number of places. Like me with a great uncle, your only hope is that something else will turn up in the future to give some indication to indicate which battery he was with.

Kevin