Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dinner in Damascus

michaeldr

Allenby to Lady Allenby

"Haifa

17th October 1918

I got back from Damascus this evening. We started at 8 a.m.; and came by Tiberias and Nazareth, reaching here at 4.30 p.m. Lovely day. Quite cool at Damascus, but warm here. I dined last night with Sherif Feisal and all the notabilities of Damascus. He gave me an excellent dinner; Arab dishes, but all good, served in the ordinary way of civilisation. Water to drink but good, and cool fresh water; not tepid barley water! This morning Feisal sent me a big sideboard or hall table, of the best Damascus inlaid work. The mosaic is in the finest style, and so well laid that you can't feel the least roughness with your finger. I believe it took over 3 years to manufacture. I am having it sent to Beirut; and, thence to Cairo by sea.

In return, I propose to give him one of my Baruch photographs in your silver frame. Will you have one framed therein, and let me know when it is ready? I can't run to giving him a present of equal value to that which he gave me! I have had long talks with him, on politics etc. He is nervous about the peace settlement; but I tell him he must trust the Entente powers to treat him fairly.

I had a great reception - guards of honour of Arab troops cheering crowds, deputations, etc. - You would like Feisal. He is a keen, slim, highly strung man. He has beautiful hands, like a woman's; and his fingers are always moving nervously, when he talks. But he is strong in will, and straight in principle."

From 'Allenby in Palestine – the middle east correspondence of Field Marshal Viscount Allenby' edited & selected by Matthew Hughes, Army Records Society, Sutton Publishing Ltd., 2004