The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Border Regt. Man from Gallipoli to the Somme

David_Bluestein

I would be gratefull for any help with the following man:

9346 Pte. Joseph O'Neill MM

1st Bn. Border Regt.

What I know so far is he landed with his Regt. on April 25, 1915 at X Beach Gallipoli, and later went to France where he was killed on July 21, 1916 at the Somme.

Now I know his Regt. suffered a severe blow on July 1, 1916 with over 600 casualties.

Is there anyone out there with a Regimental History who might have a minute to give a quick look up for this man? I was hoping there might be some mention of when or where he won his MM.

Any help would be terrific.

Thank you,

David

Hi David there is a recent Regimental History of the 1st & 6th Bn Border Regt,with many photographs & nominal roll

"Glory Is No Compensation" by Ralph May;Ill give him a look tonight...

Hi David, There is no mention of Pvt. O'Neill in The Border Regiment in the Great War by Colonel H.C. Wylly, but the action and casualties taken are reviewed. According to Wylly, the 1st Battalion went into action with the 29th Division against the Behucourt Redoubt, south of Beaumont Hamel, on July 1, 1916 with 23 officers and 809 other ranks. Killed, wounded, and missing totalled 20 officers and 619 NCOs and men. Wylly also indicates that the War Diary account is 'very meagre'. If you would like a copy of the account by Wylly, PM me and I'll send you a copy .

There may be a Divisional History which might give details of his MM. Wylly does not list any participation by the 1/ Borders in any other Somme battles, noting that the battalion spent most of September in the Ypres sector.

It would be interesting to know where your man was between July 1 and 21. As CWGC has him buried at Le Havre, he must have been wounded, probably on July 1st or 2nd.

Regards, Pete

The 1st Borders where based in Rugby Warwicks prior to leaving for Gallipoli. The Division were inspected by the King on 12th March 1915 along the A45 (London Road) close to Stretton on Dunsmore. The 29th Div memorial is still situated on the London Road.

sm

Thank you all for taking the time to post a response for me, very much appreciate ALL your input.

You have been very helpful!

Kindest regards,

David