Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Frenchman, the Antiguan and the Vicar

bruce

I am having problems finding anything on three men on the Liverpool University War Memorial.

The Frenchman is J. Cauzid. He gained a Cert. Com. Sc. in 1913, and died as a member of the 149th R. I. I have no idea of how to find out about French casualties. Any guidance would be appreciated.

The Antiguan is A B Harris, of the Antiguan Light Horse. This is a new one on me, and can't find anything about him, or it.

Finally, the Vicar is Revd. N Appleby, who was killed in the German South-West African campaign. Again, I know no more.

Any pointers as to how to find anything more about these men would be much appreciated.

Bruce

post-16303-1224242270.jpg

Jean Abel CAUZID, Caporal in the 149th Infantry Regiment, born 23 June 1894 at Saint-Chaptes, Gard, died 29 May 1918 near Branges (Aisne). Killed by a bullet (I think it means).

Adrian

Adrian,

Thanks so much for that!

It is a great help.

Any idea where he is buried, or commemmorated?

Thanks again,

Bruce

David Youngson's book on chaplains who died does not mention Appleby. It sounds very much like Rev. N[orman] Aldridge, who is on the Liverpool Town Hall Roll of Honour, although a Birkonian. He served and died in GSWA. I have some information if you want it.

Cauzid is also on the Town Hall Roll, as

CAUZID, J. FRENCH INFANTRY (149TH REGT.) but I have no more on him. It is good to have his rank and extra initial from Adrian's post above.

EDIT - Harris is also on the TH Roll, but with no more than you have.

Daggers

Can't find out where he's buried, but according to memorial-genweb.org his name is on the Monument aux Morts in Saint-Chaptes.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Bruce.

With my bloke Camille,I had his letters home ,hence his adress & ,bingo,there he is on our local memorial at Aniche.

His birth place of St.Chaptes,that would be a good spot to check out for his 'local' mem.

He should be on that.As to burial,thats a bit harder without some real digging(no pun :rolleyes: )

I'd go look but,even if I was down south at me dads it'd be a real hike to get there.It,s not far from Marseilles etc.

Dave

*edit*

Adrian beat me to it!

You Pals never fail to amaze me!

Many thanks for all the info.

On Cauzid.....a long way to go to photo his name!

Thanks also for the info so far on the other two

Curiouser and curiouser...........

Looks like he died in quite a conflict(the Frenchman!)

Look at this link to the ch'ti site & there is talk of Haig/Foch & American/Belgian stuff!

Its more of a language than a beer

Oops :blush:

Ch'ti link is just to the home page.

Click on regiments%201.gif then 101 à 149 ,scroll down to the end & there is a wee bit of info there.

Dunno why the fonts playin up.

Last thing.If your man is an unknown(known unto God type of thing)fine but,if he's in a military cemetery,I aint yet found out how to get that info.There is some place you can email or write to but,they're a bit naff in responding.

Never forget that the family could have asked for the return of his body (they had the right & many did this) & if so,easier.

Contact the local churches & just ask if so & so is there or if the family has a plot.I did this & got lots of help on 2 other blokes,even photos from Corsica & Algiers :)

Wow!

Not thought of that...will try it.

So....what was the Antiguan Light Horse??? (no....NOT a shetland pony)

The ALH could be the same as the A Yeomanry Cavalry which comes up a couple of times by Googling, though not with any WW1 relevance. Also a typo which should have been Calvary!

D

Thanks for the help.

I am still intrigued by the Antiguan connection.

Anyone got any ideas?

I guess not.............

So in what does one search for info about a clergyman?

Crockford's Clerical Directory, published approx every other year, for C of E. It may depend on where ordination took place. There are some but not all copies at Lpool RO.

Just remembered I have a freebie disc from a mag somewhere which may have a Crockford vol. in it. Watch this space.

Daggers

Bruce

The issue of Crockford's was from 1885 - no N. Appleby, but I did see that my gt-grandfather's stipend was £120 a year AND house!

I also found a similar book on another free disc, The Clergy List 1897, which must be a rival publication, but nothing there either. Sorry, it looks like a library trip.

Daggers

No N. Appleby in either the 1907 or 1916/7 editions of Crockfords. Would career army chaplains be in Crockfords? That said, though, if Appleby were to be a career chaplain his death would be one commemorated by the CWGC and his name in Army Lists.

Even more curious!

Jean Cauzid is not shown on the Sepultures de Guerre website, so either has no known grave or, more likely, is buried at St. Chaptes. The Memorial GenWeb website has a photo of the memorial, but unless it's high res and you blow it up, I doubt you could read the names. http://www.memorial-genweb.org/~memorial2/...amp;pays=France

David Youngson's book on chaplains who died does not mention Appleby. It sounds very much like Rev. N[orman] Aldridge, who is on the Liverpool Town Hall Roll of Honour, although a Birkonian. He served and died in GSWA. I have some information if you want it.

Cauzid is also on the Town Hall Roll, as

CAUZID, J. FRENCH INFANTRY (149TH REGT.) but I have no more on him. It is good to have his rank and extra initial from Adrian's post above.

EDIT - Harris is also on the TH Roll, but with no more than you have.

Daggers

I'd appreciate anything you have on Appleby.

Thanks

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...