Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leeds Man to Be given full military funarel at last.

taddy

Thought the following would be of interest to pals in the Leeds, Leamington Spa districts.

Whilst researching men for one of my websites Leeds Boys Modern i came across a Richard Warburton Shaw. The only details i had were that Robert had enlisted into the London Irish Rifles and that in 1918 he took part in heavy fighting around Cambrai. At the the battle for Bourlon Wood he was badly gassed and sent to England.

Being transferred to the Royal engineers, he was recommended for a commission. But he suffered so severly from the effects of Gas that he never recovered his health, and he died in Hospital in Leamington, and was buried there. At the time i checked the Soldiers Died records and the CWGC having no success in gathering details and to be honest gave up.

I then recieved an e mail from a distant relative who furnished a few more details regarding Robert. Between us we tracked down details of Robert and found he had passed away with no money to his name on the 29/05/1920, and was buried in an unmarked grave in Leamington Whitenash Road Cemetery.

On contacting the CWGC they investigated and agreed to place a commonwealth grave marker where Robert now lies, this should be dedicated in the next 12-15 months, his details are now on the CWGC site see below:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...sualty=75227943

Robert's relative contacted his regiment who have agreed to have his name placed on the Regiments Memorial at Connaught House and have also offered to provide a Piper and a bugler to play the last post and Reveille at his grave.

This is great news and i will post the date of the commemeration when we recieve it, and hope some of you pals will attend.

Another brave man from Leeds remembered.

Thanks to you pals on this site who supported me with advice whilst trying to resolve the above, much appreciated.

Dave

Well done, Dave. I shall go and see his grave soon (I live in Leamington).

Dio you know which the hospital he died in? It was almost certainly the Warneford, a great Victorian pile that is sadly no longer there but where my two children were born.

Well done, Dave. I shall go and see his grave soon (I live in Leamington).

Dio you know which the hospital he died in? It was almost certainly the Warneford, a great Victorian pile that is sadly no longer there but where my two children were born.

Chris,

Yes it was Warneford Hospital, you wouldnt happen to have a picture of it would you ? and do you know if it was a convelesant hospital used by the army at the time or just the local hospital.

Hope you can attend look forward to seeing you there.

Dave

Great news indeed and well done on your persistence. Is it to be a London Irish or RE badge on the stone?

The 1/18th Btn London Regiment, London Irish Rifles were reduced to a company after being relieved from Bourlon Wood at the end of November 1917.

There was another thread recently about Robert Warburton Shaw of the London Irish - same man?