Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st.Tyneside Irish.

stan johnson

I have been finding out the details of Private J.T.Molloy who was killed 1/7/16 at the Somme. The 1st Tyneside Irish were in the 24th (Service)Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers.The grandchildren of Molloy want to know what they were involved with during their time in the war. They were formed in November 1914 and attached to 103rd Brigade 34th Division.Can anyone give some idea what they were doing.?

Cheers, Stan

Stan,

One of our members John Sheen actually wrote a book on the 'Tyneside Irish', published by Pen & Sword, which can still be purchased or ordered through a local library. This gives a detailed desription of events following the raising of the Tyneside Irsih Brigade and subsequent actions overseas, plus it's filled with photographs. The events surrounding them from 1914-1916 are quite interesting and lengthy and probably far better being read than briefly detailed on this Forum.

Stan

You would be best served by getting hold of John Sheen's superb book on the Tyneside Irish. In it you and Molloy's grandchildren will be able to follow the formation and life in the 24th and other battalions in great detail. The detail is such that without other sources I can tell you (what you probably know but..) that Pvt John T Molloy, service number 24/776 was in Company D and lived at 233 School St in Langley Moor and he enlisted on 11/11/14. He is buried at Serre Rd No2. Just a taste of how much work has gone into the book.

Cheers

Jim

Hi

John Molloy enlisted at 78 North Road, Durham City and was one of the first hunded men to enlist from the City into the 1st Tyneside Irish. The Durham men were almost, but not all, serving in D Company. The address was the shop of Mr J Lynch who actively recruited for the Irish Brigade, he was the city councillor for the Framwellgate Ward.

There is a list of these hundred men in the Durham Chronicle for the last week of October. You will find this in Durham City Library or the County Archives. I have tried attaching a copy but it is far to big.

He is also listed in the casualty lists in 1916 in the same newspaper, and in The St Georges Gazette for Sept 16 he is listed as missing. The Feb 17 issue probably records him as presumed dead.

On page 68 there is a photo of my Grt Grandfathers Platoon your man may be there. unfortunately only the officer, sergeant and my Grt Grandfather are named.

I noticed your article in the Northern Echo today but the paper gave him as being 26th (3rd Tyneside Irish).

regards

John

post-27843-1224101119.jpg

Thanksfor the information, Cheers,Stan