Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Chilworth Powder Guard

Lin Penny

Hi all.

I've finally obtained the death certificate of my great grandfather Harry SMITH who died 3/09/1915 at his home in Woking, Surrey age 49 years.

His occupation is listed as Chilworth Powder Guard, 2/5th Btn Queens Regiment.

A search for a Medal Index Card for him (amongst 1300+ other Harry Smiths!) was unsuccessful. I assume he was considered too old to be sent overseas to fight so maybe a MIC wasn't issued for him?

Can anyone tell me where I can find more about him from this limited information or about his occupation please.

Many thanks

Lin

Lin,

the 2/5th Bn Queens were part of the 2nd Home Counties Division and so wouldn't have served overseas. No doubt Harry was part of the Home Guard involved with the protection of the mills. Do you know the cause of death?

Jon

Lin,

the 2/5th Bn Queens were part of the 2nd Home Counties Division and so wouldn't have served overseas. No doubt Harry was part of the Home Guard involved with the protection of the mills. Do you know the cause of death?

Jon

Thanks for the info, Jon. He died from liver cancer. I guess if I google Home Guard, 2nd Home Counties Div I might find something.

Thanks also to Nigel - I'll have a look at that website. An autumn walk around the area sounds like a good idea, it's not very far from where I am.