The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Capt. G. W. Sutton. Lancs. Fus.

mickrose

Hi,

I'm not sure this topic is in the correct category, but about 9 or 10 months ago I spotted an item for sale on a website for war books and memorabilia.

It was an 'Officer's notebook' or something similar, in the name of G. W. Sutton, Lancs Fus. It was not cheap, and I intended to enquire about the contents before buying it, and check it was Sutton of the 1/8th Batt.

He was of the same coy. as my uncle, and sent a very nice letter from his hospital bed to my grandfather after my uncle's death in 1918.

I 'lost' the website, and been kicking myself ever since.

I thought it might be worth mentioning here, in case a member bought it, or spotted it more recently for sale, or has any other information about Capt. Sutton who was also a Brigadier in WW2.

Mick.

Mick, I think that the item you saw may be here: http://www.booklovers.co.uk/static/Island%20Books8.htm

Just to a Ctrl/F and Sutton, and you will see the item as follows:

Field Service Pocket Book . 1914. General Staff, War Office by WWI. GREAT WAR. BRITISH ARMY.:

Publisher: HMSO, 1914

Condition: No further description or precis

Description: Sm. 8vo., First Edition, with 8 folding plates (6 coloured or coloured in outline), 13 plates in monochrome and numerous woodcut illustrations (a number full-page) in the text; original brown cloth envelope-style covers, upper hinge cracked (but binding entirely sound), a very good, clean copy. With the neat contemporary signature 'G.W. Sutton, 2/Lt. 8th Lancashire Fusiliers' on front free endpaper. With the 24pp (23 printed) catalogue of military books on pink stock. The stitching of the cloth pocket at front paste-down has, as often, given way at top and bottom. There is one small hole in lower cloth cover. The Field Service Pocket Book ((B11013) was the 'bible' for officers on active service in the Great War. A remarkably concise yet comprehensive reference, it is rarely found in this condition. A rare survival. military: manuals

Offered by Island Books for sale at £ 78.00

Noel

Hi Noel,

Well spotted!!

That was definitely the item.

But when I saw it there was alot less information about the item.

Clearly it's not something containing the written words of 2lt. Sutton, apart from his signature.

Still worth having though, maybe.

Thanks again Noel.

Mick.